College basketball notebook: San Jose State fires its men's basketball coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• San Jose State fired men's coach George Nessman after eight seasons with the Spartans. The move was announced Wednesday, a day after San Jose State's season ended with a 67-49 loss to UTSA in the WAC Tournament. The Spartans went 9-20 this season, their second straight campaign with only nine wins. Nessman had an 86-161 record in his tenure.
• VCU said reserve center D.J. Haley left the program to focus on academic interests. Coach Shaka Smart said the junior indicated “his heart is no longer invested in basketball,” and he wishes him the best. The 7-foot, 250-pound Haley has played in 102 games for VCU, starting 48 times. He averaged 2.1 points and 2.5 rebounds.
• Kentucky coach John Calipari says freshman center Nerlens Noel is “doing fine” after surgery on his left knee to repair a torn ACL. Calipari said in a Facebook post Wednesday that Noel called him after Tuesday's operation performed by famed orthopedic surgeon James Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla. The coach says the surgery “went well” for his 6-foot-10 center, who suffered the season-ending injury Feb. 12.
• Ohio point guard D.J. Cooper was named the Mid-American Conference's player of the year, and Akron's Keith Dambrot is the league's top coach. Cooper beat out Zips center Zeke Marshall (McKeesport) for the award in voting by a media panel. Cooper averaged 14.2 points and 7.2 assists for the Bobcats. Cooper is the MAC's career leader in assists, and he's the only Division I player in history to have at least 2,000 points, 900 assists, 600 rebounds and 300 career steals. Marshall averaged 13 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.6 blocks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0
- Connellsville falls to Seneca Valley in first-round soccer playoff game