College basketball notebook: San Jose State fires its men's basketball coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• San Jose State fired men's coach George Nessman after eight seasons with the Spartans. The move was announced Wednesday, a day after San Jose State's season ended with a 67-49 loss to UTSA in the WAC Tournament. The Spartans went 9-20 this season, their second straight campaign with only nine wins. Nessman had an 86-161 record in his tenure.
• VCU said reserve center D.J. Haley left the program to focus on academic interests. Coach Shaka Smart said the junior indicated “his heart is no longer invested in basketball,” and he wishes him the best. The 7-foot, 250-pound Haley has played in 102 games for VCU, starting 48 times. He averaged 2.1 points and 2.5 rebounds.
• Kentucky coach John Calipari says freshman center Nerlens Noel is “doing fine” after surgery on his left knee to repair a torn ACL. Calipari said in a Facebook post Wednesday that Noel called him after Tuesday's operation performed by famed orthopedic surgeon James Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla. The coach says the surgery “went well” for his 6-foot-10 center, who suffered the season-ending injury Feb. 12.
• Ohio point guard D.J. Cooper was named the Mid-American Conference's player of the year, and Akron's Keith Dambrot is the league's top coach. Cooper beat out Zips center Zeke Marshall (McKeesport) for the award in voting by a media panel. Cooper averaged 14.2 points and 7.2 assists for the Bobcats. Cooper is the MAC's career leader in assists, and he's the only Division I player in history to have at least 2,000 points, 900 assists, 600 rebounds and 300 career steals. Marshall averaged 13 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.6 blocks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Van Halen plays plenty of favorites in First Niagara show
- Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- New Pens winger Fehr ready for defense-first role
- N. Belle Vernon man jailed after police station visit
- Pregnant woman killed by gunfire in Brighton Heights, other shootings reported in city
- 2 men nabbed in Donora drug sting
- Travel enthusiast scoped out antiques on the road