NCAA will investigate Syracuse for violations
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Syracuse has been under investigation for possible NCAA violations, mostly in its basketball program, for at least a year, according to media reports.
CBS Sports.com, citing an unidentified source, reported Wednesday that the school has received a letter of preliminary inquiry from the NCAA.
The Post-Standard reported NCAA investigators have been conducting interviews with Syracuse employees and former employees. The newspaper said the investigation includes the handling of former player Fab Melo's academic eligibility.
In 2012, the star center was declared ineligible for the NCAA Tournament days before it started.
“Same story they had last year at this time,” coach Jim Boeheim said in San Jose, Calif., before the Orange played Montana in the NCAA Tournament.
Boeheim would not answer any specific questions about the report but said he wasn't bothered by the timing of it on the eve of the tournament.
“We're concerned about playing Montana,” he said. “What people write or say, you know, there's 30,000 people in the Dome yelling at me all the time. People yell at their television sets. I tell them I can't hear them, but they still yell at them. There's no distractions for me. And these players, there's absolutely no distractions for them. They're here to play Montana and that's it.”
The school acknowledged last year that the college sports governing body had inquired into allegations that players were allowed to practice and play despite being in violation of the school's drug policy.