College basketball notebook: Louisville's Ware resting after surgery
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kevin Ware is already up and walking, and he's got a nice souvenir to keep him company until he's cleared to return to Louisville.
Cardinals coach Rick Pitino brought the Midwest Regional championship trophy when he visited Ware, who remains hospitalized after surgery to repair a gruesome fracture in his right leg.
During a 2-hour surgery Sunday night, doctors reset Ware's broken tibia and inserted a rod into the bone. Because the bone broke through the skin, Pitino said doctors are monitoring Ware to make sure no infection develops.
3 players leave WVU
Guard Jabarie Hinds, who appeared in all 32 games and averaged 7.4 points and 1.8 rebounds in 2012-13, is among three sophomores who will transfer from the West Virginia men's basketball team, coach Bob Huggins announced.
Two other players to ask for their releases with plans to transfer include guard Aaron Brown (1.2 points and 0.9 rebounds in 17 games) and Ukraine forward Volodymyr Gerun (1.3 points and 0.7 rebounds in seven games).
USC hires FGCU's Enfield
Southern California hired Andy Enfield as men's basketball coach after he took Florida Gulf Coast to the round of 16 of the NCAA tournament.
Athletic director Pat Haden said Monday night that Enfield has reached an agreement to take over at the Pac-12 school.
Haden says Enfield's success at FGCU wasn't a flash in the pan and that his up-tempo style will be fun for Trojans fans.
Tubby joins Texas Tech
Tubby Smith is headed to Texas Tech to try to turn around another wayward program.
Smith, who was fired by Minnesota last week, agreed to terms with Texas Tech to be its next coach, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Sony hack signals new, public front in cyber warfare