College basketball notebook: Louisville's Ware resting after surgery
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kevin Ware is already up and walking, and he's got a nice souvenir to keep him company until he's cleared to return to Louisville.
Cardinals coach Rick Pitino brought the Midwest Regional championship trophy when he visited Ware, who remains hospitalized after surgery to repair a gruesome fracture in his right leg.
During a 2-hour surgery Sunday night, doctors reset Ware's broken tibia and inserted a rod into the bone. Because the bone broke through the skin, Pitino said doctors are monitoring Ware to make sure no infection develops.
3 players leave WVU
Guard Jabarie Hinds, who appeared in all 32 games and averaged 7.4 points and 1.8 rebounds in 2012-13, is among three sophomores who will transfer from the West Virginia men's basketball team, coach Bob Huggins announced.
Two other players to ask for their releases with plans to transfer include guard Aaron Brown (1.2 points and 0.9 rebounds in 17 games) and Ukraine forward Volodymyr Gerun (1.3 points and 0.7 rebounds in seven games).
USC hires FGCU's Enfield
Southern California hired Andy Enfield as men's basketball coach after he took Florida Gulf Coast to the round of 16 of the NCAA tournament.
Athletic director Pat Haden said Monday night that Enfield has reached an agreement to take over at the Pac-12 school.
Haden says Enfield's success at FGCU wasn't a flash in the pan and that his up-tempo style will be fun for Trojans fans.
Tubby joins Texas Tech
Tubby Smith is headed to Texas Tech to try to turn around another wayward program.
Smith, who was fired by Minnesota last week, agreed to terms with Texas Tech to be its next coach, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Truck wreck closes Saxonburg Boulevard in West Deer
- Lawyer: Steelers center Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Burgettstown
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Wanted sex offender was hiding in homemade fort
- Allegheny official sees bright future