College notebook: Laettner, Hoosiers picked in March Madness vote
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Christian Laettner's buzzer-beater against Kentucky in a 1992 regional final was picked as the top moment from March Madness history, and Laettner also was chosen as one of the top 15 players as part of a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the NCAA Tournament.
Indiana's 1976 team, which went undefeated en route to a national title, was selected as the top team. The best team and best moment were picked by fan voting. The top players were selected based on votes by fans and NCAA experts.
Aside from Laettner, the other players selected were Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, Bill Bradley, Patrick Ewing, Grant Hill, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Jerry Lucas, Danny Manning, Hakeem Olajuwon, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Bill Walton and Jerry West.
Big Ten still OK with Rutgers
The Mike Rice scandal will not affect Rutgers' status as a future member of the Big Ten.
Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany told the Chicago Tribune on Friday that “the conference is not involved in the hiring or termination of coaches. We know the limits of what we do.”
Delany said the situation “will have no impact on Rutgers' transition to, or membership in, the Big Ten Conference.”
Rutgers and Maryland are slated to join the league in 2014.
East wins all-star game
D.J. Cooper of Ohio had 11 points and nine assists to earn MVP honors, and Kansas State's Rodney McGruder hit four free throws in the closing seconds as the East beat the West, 87-81, in the college all-star game at the Final Four.
McKeesport native Zeke Marshall, a 7-foot senior center from Akron, finished with seven points, six rebounds, three blocked shots and one steal in 20 minutes for the East team.
Younger Pitino takes helm
Richard Pitino was introduced as the successor to Tubby Smith, who was fired 11 days ago after six seasons as Minnesota's coach. Pitino, 30, a former Duquesne assistant, agreed to a six-year contract worth at least $1.2 million annually.
Pitino, the son of Louisville coach Rick Pitino, called Minnesota a place where he and his family hope to be “for the rest of our lives.”
Santa Clara claims CBI
Kevin Foster scored 24 points as Santa Clara defeated George Mason, 80-77, to win the deciding game of the best-of-three CBI.
Sherrod Wright had 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead George Mason (22-16). Pitt won the CBI title last year.
Around the nation
Forward Deshaun Thomas will forego his final season of eligibility at Ohio State and will enter the NBA Draft. … N.C. State freshman Rodney Purvis will transfer to Connecticut. ... Six Tulane basketball players are transferring, including 2011-12 Conference USA Freshman of the Year Ricky Tarrant.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Former Pa. Gov. Corbett: From pension critic to collector
- Injuries to Penguins’ Ehrhoff, Letang force defense to pick up slack
- Mon Valley schools honored for commitment to music education
- Responsibility for sinkhole near Glassport remains uncertain
- Five is enough for Penguins’ defensemen
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Ligonier doctor’s appeal to practice rejected
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- McKeesport man: My ex-girlfriend ‘attempted to run me over’; she says he hit her and she panicked
- Pgh. International leader strives to inject Pittsburgh flavor into airport