PSU’S O’Brien named Maxwell coach of the year
By Scott Brown
Published: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 2:50 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, December 20, 2012
Bill O'Brien was named college football coach of the year by Maxwell Football Club, making it the second time he has received a national award for the job he did in his first season at Penn State.
O'Brien, who took over at Penn State in January, guided the Nittany Lions to an 8-4 record despite NCAA sanctions that led to the transfer of a handful of key players and an 0-2 start to the season.
“He had a plan, and he stuck to his word,” said senior defensive tackle Jordan Hill, who is preparing for the 2013 NFL Draft. “He's a leader not only by the things he says but the things he does, just how he carries himself.”
O'Brien previously was named coach of the year by ESPN, and he is a finalist for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year and Bear Bryant Coach of the Year awards.
O'Brien, who had never been a head coach before this season, will be honored by the Maxwell Football Club on March 1 in Atlantic City, N.J.
The 2012 team also will be honored after winning the Maxwell Club's Thomas Brookshier Spirit Award.
Scott Brown is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Bethel Park offensive lineman Grimm picks Pitt
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Huge sinkhole in West View detours Route 19 traffic
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Judge: Murrysville man deserves jail time for collecting child porn, threatening postal inspector
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Firefighters quickly extinguish Downtown restaurant fire, no one hurt
- 3 former Carlow employees claim age discrimination in firings
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.