PSU nets Classic statement win
College Football Videos
Penn State alumni made a statement with a strong show of support for their hockey team at the Three Rivers Classic.
The Nittany Lions, in turn, left Consol Energy Center with a statement victory.
Three first-period goals sparked Penn State to a 5-4 victory Saturday over Ohio State in the consolation game of Pittsburgh's first-year college hockey tournament. Forwards Taylor Holstrom, a junior, and Casey Bailey, a freshman, each scored two goals — and Bailey finished with four points.
Penn State (8-9-0) will join the future Big Ten hockey conference next season. Ohio State (7-8-5) is the first Big Ten school the Nittany Lions had played.
Penn State players gathered at center ice to salute the partisan crowd.
“If you look in the stands and heard the Penn State alumni and fans — how much fun was that to play in front of them?” Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky said.
Sophomore forward Ryan Dzingel turned a hat trick for Ohio State, which neatly transformed a 5-2 deficit into a competitive finish with two third-period markers.
Associate head coach Steve Rohlik lauded the Classic tournament and Gadowsky's budding Penn State program.
“That team's going to be reckoned with from Day 1,” Rohlik said.
Rob Rossi is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-380-5635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Prime time not kind to Heinz Field
- Woman’s body found in Mars home
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Police: 2 anti-violence organizers beat ex-roomie in Washington
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Clairton police rounding up street-level drug dealers
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out
- Movie studio owner building in McKees Rocks is $540K in red
- Profit falls at vitamin retailer GNC Holdings in third quarter