Illinois holds off Penn State
College Football Videos
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — D.J. Richardson started slowly Thursday but finished with 18 points and hit a pair of key free throws late in Illinois' ugly 64-59 win over Penn State.
The win was the fifth straight for Illinois (20-8, 7-7 Big Ten). But facing a team that hadn't won since late December, it didn't come easy.
Jermaine Marshall's 3-pointer brought Penn State within 62-59 with 5 seconds left. Richardson then sank a pair of free throws that sealed the win.
Illinois led, 29-20, at the end of a brutal first half.
The Illini's Brandon Paul entered the game a point shy of 1,500 in his career. It took him almost 17 minutes to get it. He finished with 16.
Penn State (8-18, 0-14), which has lost 14 straight, sent the Illini to the line 36 times. Marshall led Penn State with 20.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five taken to hospitals after school bus-SUV crash in Washington Township
- Federal tax-fraud investigation appears to be closing in on North Hills businessman
- McKeesport juvenile hit by school bus on Eden Park Boulevard
- Hempfield faculty given active shooter training
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Pitt’s Bisnowaty ‘ready to go’ but may not start vs. Youngstown State
- Alcosan rents banner plane in attempt to win contest with Cleveland
- Youngwood pool ends 2015 season in the black