Illinois holds off Penn State
College Football Videos
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — D.J. Richardson started slowly Thursday but finished with 18 points and hit a pair of key free throws late in Illinois' ugly 64-59 win over Penn State.
The win was the fifth straight for Illinois (20-8, 7-7 Big Ten). But facing a team that hadn't won since late December, it didn't come easy.
Jermaine Marshall's 3-pointer brought Penn State within 62-59 with 5 seconds left. Richardson then sank a pair of free throws that sealed the win.
Illinois led, 29-20, at the end of a brutal first half.
The Illini's Brandon Paul entered the game a point shy of 1,500 in his career. It took him almost 17 minutes to get it. He finished with 16.
Penn State (8-18, 0-14), which has lost 14 straight, sent the Illini to the line 36 times. Marshall led Penn State with 20.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Secret Service chief resigns after security lapses
- Attorney General seeks halt in Conneaut Lake Park sheriff’s sale
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby ‘confident’ despite limited preseason time
- Fans flock to what they hope will continue ‘magical season’
- State looks into UPMC complaint that Highmark violated agreement
- Advocacy groups call for closer scrutiny of charter schools
- Group’s grant to help Pittsburgh feed more needy kids
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized