Illinois holds off Penn State
Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:54 p.m.
Updated: Friday, February 22, 2013
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — D.J. Richardson started slowly Thursday but finished with 18 points and hit a pair of key free throws late in Illinois' ugly 64-59 win over Penn State.
The win was the fifth straight for Illinois (20-8, 7-7 Big Ten). But facing a team that hadn't won since late December, it didn't come easy.
Jermaine Marshall's 3-pointer brought Penn State within 62-59 with 5 seconds left. Richardson then sank a pair of free throws that sealed the win.
Illinois led, 29-20, at the end of a brutal first half.
The Illini's Brandon Paul entered the game a point shy of 1,500 in his career. It took him almost 17 minutes to get it. He finished with 16.
Penn State (8-18, 0-14), which has lost 14 straight, sent the Illini to the line 36 times. Marshall led Penn State with 20.
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Pilot of ultralight plane killed in crash
- Arrington thriving with post-NFL endeavors
- McGuire expected to sign with Pirates on Tuesday
- Harris: More majors for Tiger? We’ll see
- Reds hit 4 solo homers, defeat Pirates, 4-1
- Police: Beating victim, son forged prescriptions
- Westmoreland County Prison nears its capacity
- BVA’s Francia headed to Buffalo
- New Alexandria woman charged with carrying 96 bags of heroin
- 27 witnesses to testify in heroin trafficking
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.