Illinois holds off Penn State
College Football Videos
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — D.J. Richardson started slowly Thursday but finished with 18 points and hit a pair of key free throws late in Illinois' ugly 64-59 win over Penn State.
The win was the fifth straight for Illinois (20-8, 7-7 Big Ten). But facing a team that hadn't won since late December, it didn't come easy.
Jermaine Marshall's 3-pointer brought Penn State within 62-59 with 5 seconds left. Richardson then sank a pair of free throws that sealed the win.
Illinois led, 29-20, at the end of a brutal first half.
The Illini's Brandon Paul entered the game a point shy of 1,500 in his career. It took him almost 17 minutes to get it. He finished with 16.
Penn State (8-18, 0-14), which has lost 14 straight, sent the Illini to the line 36 times. Marshall led Penn State with 20.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shopping season starts up for Penguins amid onset of free agency
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers
- Penguins notebook: Sheary hoping to return to organization
- 1 killed, several hurt as police chase ends in Oakland crash
- Union to work while ATI talks continue
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Pittsburgh police solve fewer homicides
- Three teens injured in one-vehicle crash in Hempfield
- Plum officials reassess equipment policy after sexual assault case
- Indonesia plane crash death toll 141 as search effort ends
- In historic vote, Legislature approves bill selling state liquor stores