Illinois holds off Penn State
College Football Videos
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — D.J. Richardson started slowly Thursday but finished with 18 points and hit a pair of key free throws late in Illinois' ugly 64-59 win over Penn State.
The win was the fifth straight for Illinois (20-8, 7-7 Big Ten). But facing a team that hadn't won since late December, it didn't come easy.
Jermaine Marshall's 3-pointer brought Penn State within 62-59 with 5 seconds left. Richardson then sank a pair of free throws that sealed the win.
Illinois led, 29-20, at the end of a brutal first half.
The Illini's Brandon Paul entered the game a point shy of 1,500 in his career. It took him almost 17 minutes to get it. He finished with 16.
Penn State (8-18, 0-14), which has lost 14 straight, sent the Illini to the line 36 times. Marshall led Penn State with 20.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Big Ben sees increase in throwing out of shotgun
- Crosby, Malkin to miss start of Penguins camp
- Statewide high school football notebook: Clairton’s scoring gaining attention across Pa.
- Friday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- PennDOT worker injured in Beaver County
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- I-79 Warrendale ramps to close overnight
- Shady Side Academy’s Dua wins WPIAL Class AAA title; GCC sisters find forfeit deal in Class AA
- Penguins notebook: Hornqvist, Spaling will lead by example
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Range Resources to pay $4.15M fine, close old gas drilling impoundments