Penn State hockey upsets No. 16 Wisconsin in OT
College Football Videos
MADISON, Wis. — Penn State's Taylor Holstrom scored two goals, including the game-winner in overtime as the Nittany Lions came from two goals down to beat No. 16 Wisconsin, 3-2, on Monday.
Holstrom led Penn State (13-14-0) from two goals down in the third period in the final game of the Nittany Lions' inaugural Division I season.
He slipped in a rebound with 34 seconds remaining in overtime and started the comeback at 6:48 of the third. Casey Bailey, Penn State's leading scorer, tied the game at 12:16.
Mark Zengerle and Joseph LaBate staked the Badgers (14-11-7) to a 2-0 lead at 6:41 of the third period.
Landon Peterson made 33 saves for Wisconsin, including two before Holstrom's goal in OT.
McKees Rocks native Matthew Skoff had 42 saves for Penn State, including two in overtime.
The loss marked the first time this season Wisconsin was defeated by a team that wasn't ranked or listed in the “others receiving votes” list of the U.S. College Hockey Online national poll.
The win was the first against a ranked opponent for Penn State, which went 3-2 this season against opponents that will be part of the inaugural season for the Big Ten hockey conference in 2013-14. The Nittany Lions split two games each with Wisconsin and Michigan State and defeated Ohio State, 5- 4, in the consolation game of the Three Rivers Classic on Dec. 29 at Consol Energy Center.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sestak kicks off U.S. Senate campaign — with a couple missteps
- Court rules Steelers must pay Okobi workers comp
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Westmoreland historical society holding antiques appraisal
- Police: Suspect in 1970 cold case homicide of 17-year-old dies days before charges filed
- Owner of Strip District nightclub Ivy agrees to close after shooting
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Export steel pipe supplier announces new jobs
- PennDOT alerts drivers to numerous road closures due to flooding, debris
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Elizabeth Township, McKeesport impacted by ice jam on Youghiogheny River