Florida QB gives verbal commitment to Penn State
College Football Videos
Penn State added its 11th verbal commitment Saturday when quarterback Michael O'Connor of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., pledged to sign with the school in February.
O'Connor is considered one of the top quarterback prospects in Florida. The 6-foot-5, 223-pounder also fills a critical need, as Tyler Ferguson and incoming freshman Christian Hackenberg will be the only two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster when preseason practice starts.
Penn State is not allowed to sign more than 15 players for its 2014 recruiting class, but getting a quarterback became a necessity after Steven Bench transferred to South Florida last month.
Penn State had also offered Central Catholic quarterback J.J. Cosentino, but it likely will sign just one signal-caller in 2014 because of its scholarship limitations.
O'Connor picked Penn State over a number of suitors even though Hackenberg, a five-star recruit, will be given a chance to win the starting job this season. The Canada native is a classic drop-back passer who has been tutored by former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke at IMG.
Scott Brown is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @ ScottBrown_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Steelers Lookahead: Struggling 0-3 Bucs come to town
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Harris: No joy for Brady’s bunch at Michigan
- Man shot in Carrick critical, police say
- Man’s apartment searched again in disappearance of University of Virginia student
- Obama’s federal judge pick for Georgia can’t win, Leahy says
- Game commission, public debate user feee
- Shutdown defense has helped Penn-Trafford boys to 7-0 start