Florida QB gives verbal commitment to Penn State
College Football Videos
Penn State added its 11th verbal commitment Saturday when quarterback Michael O'Connor of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., pledged to sign with the school in February.
O'Connor is considered one of the top quarterback prospects in Florida. The 6-foot-5, 223-pounder also fills a critical need, as Tyler Ferguson and incoming freshman Christian Hackenberg will be the only two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster when preseason practice starts.
Penn State is not allowed to sign more than 15 players for its 2014 recruiting class, but getting a quarterback became a necessity after Steven Bench transferred to South Florida last month.
Penn State had also offered Central Catholic quarterback J.J. Cosentino, but it likely will sign just one signal-caller in 2014 because of its scholarship limitations.
O'Connor picked Penn State over a number of suitors even though Hackenberg, a five-star recruit, will be given a chance to win the starting job this season. The Canada native is a classic drop-back passer who has been tutored by former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke at IMG.
Scott Brown is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @ ScottBrown_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Simple question: What has Hillary accomplished?
- Penguins notebook: Five defensemen dress against San Jose
- West Virginia continues WNIT run, advances to semifinals
- Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program
- Duke returns to Final Four with win over Gonzaga
- From sticks to pucks, Mt. Pleasant collector wields power of the Pens
- More Parkway West closures planned this week
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- If you get this letter from the IRS, it’s legitimate