Penn State football schedule set for 2016 and '17
College Football Videos
The Big Ten announced Thursday its football schedules for 2016 and '17, marking the beginning of the new nine-game conference season and giving Penn State five home games in the even-numbered years and four in the odd-numbered seasons.
With nine Big Ten games, the Nittany Lions will play the other six members of the conference's Eastern Division and three teams from the Western Division. The Lions will play at Rutgers on Nov. 19, 2016, and host the Scarlet Knights on Nov. 11, 2017, at Beaver Stadium.
In 2016, Penn State will host Minnesota, Maryland, Ohio State, Iowa and Michigan State and have nonconference games at Beaver Stadium against Temple and Kent State. On the road, the Lions will face Michigan, Purdue, Indiana and Rutgers and will renew their series with Pitt at Heinz Field.
The Panthers come to Happy Valley in 2017, when Penn State also will host Indiana, Michigan, Rutgers and Nebraska. The Nittany Lions will travel to Northwestern, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan State and Maryland. The Lions also will play Akron at home in 2017 and have another home game to be scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Experts: If health insurers’ safeguard goes broke, consumers could pay
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Hip science: Rock-star physicists make tough concepts easier to understand
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Elites, media & character
- It’s business, but not as usual in Pittsburgh