Penn State notebook: LB Hull should be ready for UCF, O'Brien says
College Football Videos
Linebacker Mike Hull “will be good to go” — assuming there are no setbacks — for Saturday's game against UCF, Penn State coach Bill O'Brien said. Hull has been limited to less than a half of action this season because of a knee injury.
Hull's backup, Ben Kline, also will play against the Knights after being held out of a win against Eastern Michigan because of an undisclosed injury.
Stephen Obeng-Agyapong, a safety by trade, had been playing extensively at outside linebacker in place of Hull.
• Obeng-Agyapong was listed as a second-team outside linebacker on the depth chart for the first time. He also remained in his customary position as the No. 2 strong safety. “He'll have a role in the game just like he's had the past two weeks,” O'Brien said. Kline was moved from being listed as Hull's primary backup to being No. 2 behind the other starting outside linebacker, Nyeem Wartman. O'Brien said Wartman will play Saturday despite a minor injury, and he said safety Ryan Keiser is “questionable.”
• After relying heavily on Zach Zwinak as their feature back throughout the second half of last season and during the season opener, the Nittany Lions now officially have a three-man running back corps. O'Brien split carries between Zwinak, Bill Belton and Akeel Lynch against Eastern Michigan, and all three were listed as co-starters on the depth chart. “If one of them gets hot, more than likely, we would stick with that guy,” O'Brien said. “Running back-by-committee isn't so bad when you have three good running backs.”
• Among other minor depth-chart adjustments: Eugene Lewis was anointed the Lions' top kick returner; Carl Nassib was promoted to second-string defensive tackle; Adam Cole was moved from outside linebacker to middle linebacker; and Shaler graduate Jesse Della Valle is listed as a reserve at both safety spots. Of little consequence but interesting to note: A cornerback – Anthony Smith – will perform duties as long snapper; an “OR” was officially reinserted between Garry Gilliam and Adam Gress at right tackle; no player replaced the injured Matt Lehman as the No. 2 “Y” tight end; and freshman Gregg Garrity (North Allegheny) was added as a punt returner. Lehman had successful season-ending knee surgery Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Motorcycle runs off road in Butler County, kills Shaler man
- Suspended Penn-Trafford teacher charged with stalking student
- Route 22 accident in Monroeville causes traffic jam
- Crash closes one lane of westbound I-376 in Beaver County
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Carjacked vehicle hits Philly crowd, kills 2 children
- Small plane goes down near Grove City
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End