Penn State notebook: LB Hull should be ready for UCF, O'Brien says
College Football Videos
Linebacker Mike Hull “will be good to go” — assuming there are no setbacks — for Saturday's game against UCF, Penn State coach Bill O'Brien said. Hull has been limited to less than a half of action this season because of a knee injury.
Hull's backup, Ben Kline, also will play against the Knights after being held out of a win against Eastern Michigan because of an undisclosed injury.
Stephen Obeng-Agyapong, a safety by trade, had been playing extensively at outside linebacker in place of Hull.
• Obeng-Agyapong was listed as a second-team outside linebacker on the depth chart for the first time. He also remained in his customary position as the No. 2 strong safety. “He'll have a role in the game just like he's had the past two weeks,” O'Brien said. Kline was moved from being listed as Hull's primary backup to being No. 2 behind the other starting outside linebacker, Nyeem Wartman. O'Brien said Wartman will play Saturday despite a minor injury, and he said safety Ryan Keiser is “questionable.”
• After relying heavily on Zach Zwinak as their feature back throughout the second half of last season and during the season opener, the Nittany Lions now officially have a three-man running back corps. O'Brien split carries between Zwinak, Bill Belton and Akeel Lynch against Eastern Michigan, and all three were listed as co-starters on the depth chart. “If one of them gets hot, more than likely, we would stick with that guy,” O'Brien said. “Running back-by-committee isn't so bad when you have three good running backs.”
• Among other minor depth-chart adjustments: Eugene Lewis was anointed the Lions' top kick returner; Carl Nassib was promoted to second-string defensive tackle; Adam Cole was moved from outside linebacker to middle linebacker; and Shaler graduate Jesse Della Valle is listed as a reserve at both safety spots. Of little consequence but interesting to note: A cornerback – Anthony Smith – will perform duties as long snapper; an “OR” was officially reinserted between Garry Gilliam and Adam Gress at right tackle; no player replaced the injured Matt Lehman as the No. 2 “Y” tight end; and freshman Gregg Garrity (North Allegheny) was added as a punt returner. Lehman had successful season-ending knee surgery Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pitt plays best game of the season; routs Kansas State
- Fewer adults smoking, U.S. survey finds
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Trib kicks off annual effort to help feed families for Christmas
- Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg has stent placed in heart artery