Penn State football team adds 2 recruits to Class of 2015
College Football Videos
The commitments keep coming for Penn State — and they keep coming from within the commonwealth.
Two prospects made verbal commitments to the Nittany Lions on Monday, meaning Penn State's Class of 2015 already is six players deep.
Linebacker Jake Cooper from Archbishop Wood High in Warminster and defensive end Ryan Buchholz from Great Valley High in Malvern are the third and fourth recruits from Pennsylvania. The Lions' 2014 class had three in-state players.
Cooper (6-foot-2, 226 pounds) and Buchholz (6-6, 230) are rated three stars by Rivals.com. According to the site, both had more than 10 scholarship offers: Cooper's included Virginia, Georgia Tech and Pitt, and Buchholz had offers from, among others, six Big Ten schools, WVU and Pitt.
Buchholz committed to PSU nine days after his high school teammate, offensive lineman Ryan Bates. Archbishop Wood is the reigning PIAA Class AAA champion.
Neither of the Monday commitments was considered a surprise, except, perhaps, for the timing of them. Only one of Penn State's 25 signees for 2014 had committed by this point last year.
A source confirmed another high-profile, in-state 2015 prospect, (Harrisburg) Bishop McDevitt High running back Andre Robinson, also was on campus Monday. Robinson is a consensus four-star recruit.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- State-owned universities spend millions in race to snare students
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Innovation enhances Philadelphia’s history as Democrats convene, Pope Francis visits
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Keystone Markers give insights about towns but have fallen victim to time, theft or traffic accidents
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015