Penn State gets verbal commitment from receiver for Class of 2015
College Football Videos
Wide receiver Juwan Johnson of Glassboro, N.J., became Penn State's eighth verbal commitment for the Class of 2015 after an unofficial visit to campus Sunday.
The 6-foot-4 1⁄2, 205-pound Johnson is rated a four-star prospect and the No. 13 receiver in the country by Rivals.com. His high school coach, Mark Maccarone, said Johnson had offers from more than 25 FBS schools — Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and Pitt among them.
“It was just the best fit for him all the way around,” Maccarone said after Johnson met with the Nittany Lions coaching staff Sunday. “From what he does offensively to the family atmosphere of the coaching staff to the proximity of his family — all were facets in it.”
Johnson is the fifth of Penn State's eight 2015 recruits to have a Rivals.com four-star rating. He also is the fifth prospect from New Jersey among the 2014 and '15 classes. He also plays defensive back in high school.
“He's definitely a game-changing type of athlete,” Maccarone said. “And he's a kid with incredible character and a fantastic work ethic. Very knowledgeable about the game, a good student and a kid with a lot of heart.”
— Chris Adamski
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 found dead in Harrison home
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Steelers sign former ACC Player of the Year Boyd for QB depth
- Plum teacher’s attorney: Victim’s age a factor in sex assault case
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Route 422 closed after serious accident in Kittanning Township
- Scottdale man charged with raping child in 1990s
- Allegheny County Controller candidates quarrel 2 days before Dem endorsement vote
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays