Penn State adds cornerback recruit
College Football Videos
Penn State picked up another recruit for its 2015 class on Sunday morning when consensus three-star prospect Myles Hartsfield made a verbal commitment to the Nittany Lions prior to participating in a camp on the University Park campus.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Hartsfield, from Sayreville HS in Parlin, N.J., is projected as a cornerback for Penn State. According to Rivals.com, Hartsfield had scholarship offers from, among others, Pitt, West Virginia, Purdue, Rutgers and Syracuse.
The speedy Hartsfield (timed in the 4.4-second range in the 40-yard dash at the Penn State camp Sunday) is the 16th member of PSU's 2015 recruiting class, which is ranked No. 3 nationally by Rivals.com. He's also the third defensive back in the class.
The new James Franklin coaching staff has talked repeatedly about wanting a fast defense.
Hartsfield is the fourth 2015 commitment from New Jersey. All four are ranked by Rivals as among the state's top 10 prospects in the class — new Big Ten rival Rutgers, located in New Jersey, has no verbal commitments from a top-10 in-state recruit.
Only Alabama and Clemson have more 2015 verbal commitments at this point than Penn State's 16. The Nittany Lions are limited to a class of 20 incoming prospects in 2015, now the final season of such restrictions due to NCAA sanctions. However, PSU might not be able to secure that many come national signing day in February because 2015 is also the final season its roster is limited in scholarships (to 80 instead of the regular 85).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- W. Pa. immigration court clogged by case backlog
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Tri-state Tea Party group aims to broaden its appeal to conservatives
- Penn Township buying $30K worth of technology upgrades
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler