Penn State adds cornerback recruit
College Football Videos
Penn State picked up another recruit for its 2015 class on Sunday morning when consensus three-star prospect Myles Hartsfield made a verbal commitment to the Nittany Lions prior to participating in a camp on the University Park campus.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Hartsfield, from Sayreville HS in Parlin, N.J., is projected as a cornerback for Penn State. According to Rivals.com, Hartsfield had scholarship offers from, among others, Pitt, West Virginia, Purdue, Rutgers and Syracuse.
The speedy Hartsfield (timed in the 4.4-second range in the 40-yard dash at the Penn State camp Sunday) is the 16th member of PSU's 2015 recruiting class, which is ranked No. 3 nationally by Rivals.com. He's also the third defensive back in the class.
The new James Franklin coaching staff has talked repeatedly about wanting a fast defense.
Hartsfield is the fourth 2015 commitment from New Jersey. All four are ranked by Rivals as among the state's top 10 prospects in the class — new Big Ten rival Rutgers, located in New Jersey, has no verbal commitments from a top-10 in-state recruit.
Only Alabama and Clemson have more 2015 verbal commitments at this point than Penn State's 16. The Nittany Lions are limited to a class of 20 incoming prospects in 2015, now the final season of such restrictions due to NCAA sanctions. However, PSU might not be able to secure that many come national signing day in February because 2015 is also the final season its roster is limited in scholarships (to 80 instead of the regular 85).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins trade for Toronto’s Kessel
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Saudi prince will donate all wealth, $32B worth
- Steelers submit application to host Super Bowl
- Ligonier Township officer’s widow to file civil suit
- Leading on race: Communities, not elites
- Three seek to serve four-year term in seat of deceased county council member
- Remains of Korean War soldier from Apollon identified
- Second Blair County friar commits suicide in province under sex abuse investigation
- FBI searching for Homestead man indicted for sex trafficking in children
- Donora-Webster Bridge plunges into Mon River after 106 years