PSU's Hackenberg on O'Brien Award watch list
College Football Videos
Penn State's Christian Hackenberg is one of five true sophomores on the 33-player preseason watch list for the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award.
Hackenberg, the reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Year, had 2,955 passing yards and 20 touchdown passes last season. Todd Blackledge (1982) and Kerry Collins (1994) are previous Nittany Lions winners of the award.
Penn State also announced that its home opener Sept. 6 against Akron will kick off at noon. Coach James Franklin's Beaver Stadium debut will be broadcast on ABC regionally. The undefeated 1994 team will be honored at halftime.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Pyrotechnics display turns from benefit to burden in Tarentum
- ‘Wax weed’ worries authorities
- Class of ‘74 returning for last dance at Kittanning High School
- Facelift approved for historic La Rose building in Greensburg
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins