Quarterback Myers to transfer from Pitt
Mark Myers' decision to transfer leaves Pitt with only three eligible quarterbacks, decreasing the chances that freshman Chad Voytik can redshirt this season.
Voytik will battle Trey Anderson, a 6-foot, 185-pound sophomore, for the backup job behind senior Tino Sunseri. Anderson came to Pitt as a walk-on last year under former coach Todd Graham, who eventually awarded him a scholarship. Anderson played in four games in 2011, completing 12 of 33 passes for 55 yards and three interceptions.
Coach Paul Chryst, who declined comment Friday, will have four quarterbacks when practice begins Monday. But Tom Savage, who has spent time at Rutgers and Arizona, is ineligible this season after transferring.
Pitt has a verbal commitment from Class of 2013 quarterback Tra'von Chapman of Roosevelt High School in Kent, Ohio, and might have room for another.
“You want to be stocked and create competition,” Chryst said in June.
Another option is redshirt sophomore Anthony Gonzalez, who moved to safety this summer after spending his first two seasons and this spring at quarterback. Gonzalez has not attempted a pass in two years.
Myers could not be reached for comment. He completed 10 of 16 passes for 167 yards and a touchdown in the spring game.
A former four-star recruit out of St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland, Myers was redshirted as a freshman in 2010 and played in four games last season, completing 1 of 4 passes for 5 yards.
Chryst also suspended junior offensive tackle Juantez Hollins for the season for a violation of team policy. Hollins, an Aliquippa graduate, played in every game last season, including seven starts, but was held out of the spring game. He will be permitted to return in 2013 with one year of eligibility.
Finally, Chryst suspended freshman receiver Chris Davis for the first week of camp for disciplinary reasons. He will be permitted to rejoin the team Aug. 12.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-320-7997.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Slumping Pitt keeps chin up
- Pitt’s 2015 schedule includes 5 road games in 1st 7 games
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Former WPIAL diving champ finds success at Pitt
- Pitt adds Texas wide receiver as 16th commitment to Class of 2015
- Panthers drop heartbreaker in overtime to Virginia Tech
- Gorman: Not just a no-brainer for Pine-Richland’s DiNucci
- Pitt expecting to see zone defense on the road against Virginia Tech
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Forward Artis eager to become more of an offensive threat for Pitt