Pitt football notebook: 2 freshmen leave team, will transfer
• Two Pitt redshirt freshmen — linebacker Jason Frimpong of Irving, Texas, and defensive back Roderick Ryles of Orlando, Fla. — have left the team and been given permission to transfer. Neither played this season, but Frimpong was competing for a starting job at outside linebacker in training camp. Both players were part of the former coach Todd Graham's 2011 recruiting class. Eight players from that 21-man class have left the team or been dismissed.
• Quarterback Tino Sunseri was named Big East Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this season and third of his career after throwing for 227 yards and two touchdowns against Rutgers. Sunseri has made 37 consecutive starts, the longest streak at Pitt since Alex Van Pelt set a school record with 46 from 1989-1992.
• Sunseri also holds the longest active streak in the nation of consecutive throws without an interception (245). He hasn't thrown one since the fourth quarter of the Virginia Tech game Sept. 15. “He understands the importance of taking care of the football,” coach Paul Chryst said. “That comes with experience. It comes from being burned on it. He has grown up with it.”
• Sunseri ranks second in the Big East and 20th nationally in pass efficiency with a rating of 154.56.
• Defensive tackle Aaron Donald was named to the Big East honor roll with seven tackles, three for a loss, and a sack against Rutgers.
• Wide receiver Devin Street, who went to the hospital with injured ribs Saturday, is “feeling better,” Chryst said. “He did a little bit (Sunday). (Tuesday) we will know more. Hopefully, he will be ready to go (Saturday at South Florida).”
— Jerry DiPaola
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- College football preview: ACC
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- Woodland Hills pipeline a great fit for Pitt defense this season
- Pitt freshman O’Neill eats up switch to tackle
- Pitt’s Narduzzi names 4 captains
- Pitt junior RB Ibrahim out for season with Achilles injury
- Pitt notebook: Offense starts slowly in final live training camp scrimmage
- Reports: Pitt’s Newkirk transferring to Indiana