City Game notebook: Junior Zeigler could return for Pitt
By Karen Price
Published: Monday, Dec. 3, 2012, 1:47 p.m.
Jamie Dixon said that junior swingman Trey Zeigler, who was suspended indefinitely on Nov. 26 after being charged with driving under the influence, could be available for Wednesday's City Game against Duquesne. Dixon said he still needs to speak with Pitt administrators, but Zeigler has dealt with the necessary responsibilities and punishments since the incident. “He needs to continue to do the right things, which he has,” Dixon said. “It's a horrible thing, obviously. … No kid has ever been more remorseful and no kid has recognized the position that he put himself in more than him.” Zeigler, who transferred from Central Michigan, played in the first six games of the season averaging 6.2 points and 1.2 rebounds per game.
• Pitt guard James Robinson was named Big East rookie of the week Monday, becoming the first Panthers freshman to earn the award since DeJuan Blair on Jan. 14, 2008. Robinson averaged 11 points, seven assists and two rebounds in 32 minutes per game in Pitt's wins over Howard and Detroit. He is averaging 7.3 points and 3.9 assists per game and currently leads the Panthers in minutes played (30.3). “It feels good but I see it as a team award, because if I didn't have my teammates I wouldn't be able to get it,” Robinson said. “It's a small step for me personally but we have a bigger picture, as a team, that we're trying to reach.”
• Senior Dante Taylor said he has yet to see the even-tempered Robinson lose his composure. “He's always going to be the same no matter how much you try to speed him up, get him mad, he's just going to keep the same pace,” Taylor said. “It's working for him, so why change it?”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt wraps up spring football practice with closeness, competition
- Pitt QBs show they can adapt to change
- Pitt displays football program for fans as spring practice closes
- Players, coaches laud changes in makeup of Pitt roster under Chryst
- Pitt football notebook: Bennett to undergo shoulder surgery