Pitt's Graham, Donald named Big East first team all-stars
By Jerry DiPaola
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 11:52 a.m.
Updated: Friday, December 7, 2012
Pitt running back Ray Graham and defensive tackle Aaron Donald were named Thursday to the all-Big East first team, joining four teammates honored in voting by league coaches.
Graham, who recovered from a serious knee injury suffered only 14 months ago, rushed for a career-high 1,042 yards to finish fourth in the Big East. He also is joined on the team by his brother, Rutgers linebacker Khaseem Greene, who became the first player since Virginia Tech's Corey Moore in 1998 and 1999 to repeat as the league's defensive player of the year.
Donald led the conference in tackles for a loss (19, sixth in the nation).
Pitt wide receivers Devin Street and Mike Shanahan, safety Jason Hendricks and center Ryan Turnley were named to the conference's second team. Shanahan finished second in the Big East with 926 yards receiving. He recorded 58 receptions, five for touchdowns. Street was second with 66 receptions, for 892 yards and four scores.
Hendricks led the Big East with five interceptions, 11th in the nation.
Also, Schenley graduate Greg Blair, a Cincinnati linebacker, was named to the first-team defense.
Others honored include:
• Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, offensive player of the year.
• Temple running back Matt Brown, special teams player of the year.
• Temple linebacker Tyler Matakevich, rookie of the year.
• Coaches Charlie Strong of Louisville and Kyle Flood of Rutgers, coaches of the year.
- Dixon won’t change Pitt’s style in ACC
- Pitt’s Dixon helping Moore find new school
- ACC: Men’s basketball tournament still could be played at MSG
- Ford City grad Dylan Wolsonovich aids in Pitt’s resurgence
- 3 players, including former Sto-Rox star, leaving Pitt football team
- Atlantic Coast Conference explores idea of own TV network
- Pitt coach Chryst holds players to high standards on, off field
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.