Pitt football notebook: Guard Doakes suspended for bowl game
• Pitt redshirt sophomore Arthur Doakes, who started the final four games of the regular season at right guard, was suspended for at least one game for violating team policy, a university spokesman said Wednesday. Doakes won't play in the BBVA Compass Bowl on Saturday against Ole Miss, but coach Paul Chryst hasn't named a replacement. Redshirt sophomore Shane Johnson, who never has started a game in three seasons at Pitt, is listed behind Doakes on the team's two-man depth chart. Doakes, 6-foot-6, 340 pounds, had replaced regular starting right guard Ryan Schlieper, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury Oct. 27 against Temple. Doakes is the second Pitt offensive lineman suspended this season. Redshirt junior Juantez Hollins was suspended for the season before the start of training camp.
• Senior quarterback Tino Sunseri, whose 39-game consecutive start streak is the most since Alex Van Pelt's 46 from 1989-92, said he doesn't know what type of legacy he will leave behind. “It's whatever people make of it,” he said. “I have no control over that. The only thing I'm trying to do is win another bowl game.” If he throws for 193 yards against Ole Miss — 66 below his per-game average this season — he will pass Dan Marino (8,597) for second on Pitt's all-time passing list. He needs only 8 yards to pass Tyler Palko (8,429) for second place in total offense.
• Chryst won't name an interim defensive coordinator for the game, but he will have assistants Chris Haering, Matt House and Inoke Breckterfield share the duties of former coordinator Dave Huxtable, who resigned last month to accept the same job at N.C. State.
— Jerry DiPaola
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Pitt expecting to see zone defense on the road against Va. Tech
- Gorman: Not just a no-brainer for Pine-Richland’s DiNucci
- Pitt suffers loss at home in first ACC meeting against Louisville
- Juco center Nix looks to fill void at Pitt
- Pitt’s Johnson to have shoulder surgery
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Forward Artis eager to become more of an offensive threat for Pitt
- Pitt point guard recruit trying to bolster 2015 class