Pitt in running for Labor Day game vs. Florida State
Pitt could open its inaugural season in the ACC against defending champion Florida State on Labor Day night in a nationally televised game at Heinz Field, a conference spokeswoman said.
Talks among conference officials and the schools are ongoing, but the spokeswoman said a Pitt/Florida State game, which would be shown Sept. 2 on ESPN, is just one option being considered.
“There are a number of variables and a number of details that have to be ironed out before we are prepared to release the schedule,” she said.
Pitt and Florida State have nonconference home games against FCS opponents scheduled for Aug. 31. Pitt is to play Villanova, and Florida State is to meet Wofford.
Wofford senior associate athletic director Mark Line said Thursday the school is willing to move its game.
“We have had conversations with (the ACC and Florida State), and we are just trying to work things out the best we can,” Line said. “I am sure we can come to a mutually satisfactory agreement.
“You probably would rather not (move the game), but you do what you have to do to work with folks. People have been good to us, and we try to reciprocate when we can.”
Pitt officials declined to comment. Villanova athletic director Vince Nicastro was unavailable for comment.
The ACC is due to release its schedule this month.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Pitt adds Texas wide receiver as 16th commitment to Class of 2015
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Former WPIAL diving champ finds success at Pitt
- Gorman: Not just a no-brainer for Pine-Richland’s DiNucci
- Juco center Nix looks to fill void at Pitt
- In recruiting, Pitt, Penn State make ‘social’ commentary
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Panthers drop heartbreaker in overtime to Virginia Tech
- Pitt notebook: Pitino: This year’s Pitt team not as talented as past years
- Pitt, Louisville square off after unusually long layoffs