Pitt-FSU opener could be in jeopardy
By Jerry DiPaola
Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 7:51 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Villanova athletic director Vince Nicastro said Thursday that moving his football team's scheduled season-opener against Pitt on Aug. 31 at Heinz Field won't be easy, likely jeopardizing a possibility of the Panthers opening against Florida State two days later.
“We haven't been able to find a resolution that isn't extremely complicated,” Nicastro said. “We have had a number of discussions with the various parties (Pitt, ACC, ESPN, our football conference, the Colonial Athletic Association) to see if there was a reasonable way to shift the date.”
Pitt begins play in the ACC in the fall, and the ACC has said a prime-time Florida State/Pitt game at Heinz Field is one of the options being considered for a nationally televised game Sept. 2 on ESPN.
Pitt and Florida State scheduled nonconference games for that weekend before the possibility of playing each other surfaced. Florida State is set to play host to Wofford.
Wofford senior associate athletic director Mark Line said last week the school is willing to move its game.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
- Pitt’s Dixon helping Moore find new school
- Pitt coach Chryst holds players to high standards on, off field
- ACC-bound Pitt finds itself without natural football rivals
- ACC: Men’s basketball tournament still could be played at MSG
- 3 players, including former Sto-Rox star, leaving Pitt football team
- Atlantic Coast Conference explores idea of own TV network
- Dixon won’t change Pitt’s style in ACC
- Ford City grad Dylan Wolsonovich aids in Pitt’s resurgence
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.