Pitt-FSU opener could be in jeopardy
Villanova athletic director Vince Nicastro said Thursday that moving his football team's scheduled season-opener against Pitt on Aug. 31 at Heinz Field won't be easy, likely jeopardizing a possibility of the Panthers opening against Florida State two days later.
“We haven't been able to find a resolution that isn't extremely complicated,” Nicastro said. “We have had a number of discussions with the various parties (Pitt, ACC, ESPN, our football conference, the Colonial Athletic Association) to see if there was a reasonable way to shift the date.”
Pitt begins play in the ACC in the fall, and the ACC has said a prime-time Florida State/Pitt game at Heinz Field is one of the options being considered for a nationally televised game Sept. 2 on ESPN.
Pitt and Florida State scheduled nonconference games for that weekend before the possibility of playing each other surfaced. Florida State is set to play host to Wofford.
Wofford senior associate athletic director Mark Line said last week the school is willing to move its game.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Pitt notebook: Zone-read plays suit Voytik’s strengths
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era
- Sophomore guard Jones shows off range in Pitt’s Blue-Gold scrimmage
- Starkey: No harm putting Pitt’s Conner on defense
- Pitt bounces back with win over Virginia Tech
- Pitt’s Dixon expecting more from point guard Robinson