Pitt-FSU opener could be in jeopardy
Villanova athletic director Vince Nicastro said Thursday that moving his football team's scheduled season-opener against Pitt on Aug. 31 at Heinz Field won't be easy, likely jeopardizing a possibility of the Panthers opening against Florida State two days later.
“We haven't been able to find a resolution that isn't extremely complicated,” Nicastro said. “We have had a number of discussions with the various parties (Pitt, ACC, ESPN, our football conference, the Colonial Athletic Association) to see if there was a reasonable way to shift the date.”
Pitt begins play in the ACC in the fall, and the ACC has said a prime-time Florida State/Pitt game at Heinz Field is one of the options being considered for a nationally televised game Sept. 2 on ESPN.
Pitt and Florida State scheduled nonconference games for that weekend before the possibility of playing each other surfaced. Florida State is set to play host to Wofford.
Wofford senior associate athletic director Mark Line said last week the school is willing to move its game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL players Fitzgerald, Donald to lead Pitt in Blue-Gold spring game
- Pitt’s Amara offers Vision of hope
- Pitt notebook: Defense shows up in scrimmage
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills
- Howland: Pederson deserves more credit at Pitt
- Pitt to have spring game at Highmark Stadium
- Pitt baseball enjoying rise in expectations
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati
- Pitt heavily vested in linebackers’ progress