Pitt-FSU opener could be in jeopardy
Villanova athletic director Vince Nicastro said Thursday that moving his football team's scheduled season-opener against Pitt on Aug. 31 at Heinz Field won't be easy, likely jeopardizing a possibility of the Panthers opening against Florida State two days later.
“We haven't been able to find a resolution that isn't extremely complicated,” Nicastro said. “We have had a number of discussions with the various parties (Pitt, ACC, ESPN, our football conference, the Colonial Athletic Association) to see if there was a reasonable way to shift the date.”
Pitt begins play in the ACC in the fall, and the ACC has said a prime-time Florida State/Pitt game at Heinz Field is one of the options being considered for a nationally televised game Sept. 2 on ESPN.
Pitt and Florida State scheduled nonconference games for that weekend before the possibility of playing each other surfaced. Florida State is set to play host to Wofford.
Wofford senior associate athletic director Mark Line said last week the school is willing to move its game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurdle takes responsibility for mistakes that ended Pirates’ 7-game win streak
- Chesney fans flood the North Shore
- MLB notebook: Suspension appeal hearing for Brewers’ Smith set for Monday
- Graham poised to enter presidential race
- Mars doubles partners want more after getting PIAA bronze
- Fagerbakke happy to keep playing Patrick on ‘SpongeBob’
- Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand
- ‘Two-party stranglehold’ on debates in group’s sights
- Steelers sign 7th-rounder Holliman
- Lightning hits Rostraver home; child hurt
- Construction worker dies in Wilkinsburg