Pitt-FSU opener could be in jeopardy
Villanova athletic director Vince Nicastro said Thursday that moving his football team's scheduled season-opener against Pitt on Aug. 31 at Heinz Field won't be easy, likely jeopardizing a possibility of the Panthers opening against Florida State two days later.
“We haven't been able to find a resolution that isn't extremely complicated,” Nicastro said. “We have had a number of discussions with the various parties (Pitt, ACC, ESPN, our football conference, the Colonial Athletic Association) to see if there was a reasonable way to shift the date.”
Pitt begins play in the ACC in the fall, and the ACC has said a prime-time Florida State/Pitt game at Heinz Field is one of the options being considered for a nationally televised game Sept. 2 on ESPN.
Pitt and Florida State scheduled nonconference games for that weekend before the possibility of playing each other surfaced. Florida State is set to play host to Wofford.
Wofford senior associate athletic director Mark Line said last week the school is willing to move its game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s Dixon monitoring minutes early in season
- Miami’s Scott has improved program since replacing Golden
- Bowl destination is at stake for Pitt football in regular-season finale
- District college notebook: Pair of Pitt wrestlers win titles at Keystone Classic
- Pitt notebook: Narduzzi reaches out to Syracuse coach
- Pitt players praise Narduzzi’s coaching style
- Pitt football team’s success is paying off with recruiting buzz
- Zone defense more common for Dixon, Pitt men’s basketball team
- For Pitt’s Narduzzi, Petrino’s ‘O’ always a challenge
- Coach Petrino finds footing with Louisville