Pitt running back Shell to transfer
Pitt running back Rushel Shell told coach Paul Chryst he will transfer from the university, ending his stay with the team after one season, a source close to the situation told the Tribune-Review on Monday night.
Shell and Chryst will have further talks Tuesday to discuss releasing Shell from his scholarship and where he can transfer. NCAA transfer rules mandate that a student-athlete must receive written permission from his initial school before he can contact another institution.
Pitt also has the right to block Shell from transferring to certain schools. If he transfers to another FBS school, he must sit out the 2013 season.
Shell didn't return telephone calls Monday night to the Tribune-Review.
Shell, who would have been Pitt's marquee running back this year in its first season in the ACC, has missed the past three spring practice sessions. He pulled himself out of drills March 22 with an injury and has not returned, amidst a report he was upset with coaches' criticism after a scrimmage.
Four days after Shell's final practice, a source close to Shell said he was considering transferring. Chryst last week excused Shell indefinitely from team functions, saying in a statement that the rising sophomore running back was “working through some challenges.” The coach also offered his “full support” to Shell and his family.
Later, while speaking to reporters, Chryst declined to answer questions about Shell's possible return.
Shell was one of the centerpieces of Pitt's 2012 recruiting class, joining other prospects in helping keep the group together after the sudden departure of former coach Todd Graham in December 2011. Shell committed to Pitt during his senior season at Hopewell, where he set a state rushing record with 9,078 yards.
Last season, Shell rushed for 641 yards and four touchdowns.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Youngstown State looking for repeat performance against Pitt
- Pitt men’s basketball adds junior-college guard
- Pitt defense is entering new season with something to prove
- Pitt basketball team starting to get injured players back
- Brashear cornerback Coleman picks Pitt
- Injured DT Render missing from Pitt depth chart
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Pitt freshman O’Neill eats up switch to tackle
- Pitt’s Narduzzi names 4 captains