Pitt blocking Shell transfer to Arizona, Arizona St.
Pitt is blocking former running back Rushel Shell from transferring to Arizona and Arizona State, sources close to the situation told the Tribune-Review on Friday.
When Shell decided to transfer, he submitted to Pitt officials a list of four possible destinations: Pac-12 schools California, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State. He is free to transfer to California and UCLA.
Several former Pitt coaches, who were with the Panthers when the school recruited Shell, are employed at Arizona and Arizona State, including ASU coach Todd Graham.
Shell can request a university hearing, outside the athletics department, in an attempt to have Pitt's ruling overturned.
Pitt also would block him from transferring to any ACC institution, but Shell has expressed no desire to attend a school in that conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football notebook: ‘No. 1 safety’ Mitchell asked to step up
- Top 30 guard shooting Heron decommits from Pitt
- Defense shines in Pitt football spring game
- Pitt senior Kiesel selected by WNBA’s Tulsa Shock
- Pitt linebacker Grigsby seizes opportunity during spring drills
- Stakes raised for Pitt spring game
- Challingsworth could help Pitt’s depth at wide receiver
- Nice meal on line in Pitt spring game
- Pitt’s Johnson leaves men’s basketball team