Pitt blocking Shell transfer to Arizona, Arizona St.
Pitt is blocking former running back Rushel Shell from transferring to Arizona and Arizona State, sources close to the situation told the Tribune-Review on Friday.
When Shell decided to transfer, he submitted to Pitt officials a list of four possible destinations: Pac-12 schools California, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State. He is free to transfer to California and UCLA.
Several former Pitt coaches, who were with the Panthers when the school recruited Shell, are employed at Arizona and Arizona State, including ASU coach Todd Graham.
Shell can request a university hearing, outside the athletics department, in an attempt to have Pitt's ruling overturned.
Pitt also would block him from transferring to any ACC institution, but Shell has expressed no desire to attend a school in that conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- Pitt notebook: Panthers defense responds to questions with shutout
- Pitt notebook: Offensive linemen rotate during rout over Delaware
- Pitt cruises past Delaware in season opener
- Greensburg Central influence follows Delaware quarterback
- Pitt senior Weatherspoon’s work ethic second to none
- Pitt’s ACC men’s basketball schedule announced
- Pitt’s obscure opener still matters
- FSU star QB Winston working to improve on, off field