Pitt blocking Shell transfer to Arizona, Arizona St.
Pitt is blocking former running back Rushel Shell from transferring to Arizona and Arizona State, sources close to the situation told the Tribune-Review on Friday.
When Shell decided to transfer, he submitted to Pitt officials a list of four possible destinations: Pac-12 schools California, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State. He is free to transfer to California and UCLA.
Several former Pitt coaches, who were with the Panthers when the school recruited Shell, are employed at Arizona and Arizona State, including ASU coach Todd Graham.
Shell can request a university hearing, outside the athletics department, in an attempt to have Pitt's ruling overturned.
Pitt also would block him from transferring to any ACC institution, but Shell has expressed no desire to attend a school in that conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Panthers freshmen give back, visit Mel Blount Youth Home
- Akron defensive lineman Hargrove commits to Pitt
- Last year’s meltdowns still fresh for Pitt DT Render, add incentive
- New football coach Narduzzi is learning, along with Pitt players
- Starkey: Boyd, Blair punishments are Narduzzi’s first big call
- Pitt’s Young welcomes return to power forward
- ACC notebook: Pitt receiver Boyd apologizes to team
- 6 PSU, Pitt, WVU players on watch lists for Maxwell, Bednarik awards
- Pitt RB Conner top vote-getter on preseason All-ACC team