Pitt blocking Shell transfer to Arizona, Arizona St.
Pitt is blocking former running back Rushel Shell from transferring to Arizona and Arizona State, sources close to the situation told the Tribune-Review on Friday.
When Shell decided to transfer, he submitted to Pitt officials a list of four possible destinations: Pac-12 schools California, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State. He is free to transfer to California and UCLA.
Several former Pitt coaches, who were with the Panthers when the school recruited Shell, are employed at Arizona and Arizona State, including ASU coach Todd Graham.
Shell can request a university hearing, outside the athletics department, in an attempt to have Pitt's ruling overturned.
Pitt also would block him from transferring to any ACC institution, but Shell has expressed no desire to attend a school in that conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No. 11 Purdue presents tall order for Pitt
- Pitt notebook: Boyd undecided about leaving early for NFL
- Pitt notebook: Offensive struggles continue
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Gilbert, son of ex-Pitt football standout, commits to Panthers
- Bowl destination is at stake for Pitt football in regular-season finale
- Pitt’s Dixon monitoring minutes early in season
- District college notebook: Pair of Pitt wrestlers win titles at Keystone Classic
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell