Pitt blocking Shell transfer to Arizona, Arizona St.
Pitt is blocking former running back Rushel Shell from transferring to Arizona and Arizona State, sources close to the situation told the Tribune-Review on Friday.
When Shell decided to transfer, he submitted to Pitt officials a list of four possible destinations: Pac-12 schools California, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State. He is free to transfer to California and UCLA.
Several former Pitt coaches, who were with the Panthers when the school recruited Shell, are employed at Arizona and Arizona State, including ASU coach Todd Graham.
Shell can request a university hearing, outside the athletics department, in an attempt to have Pitt's ruling overturned.
Pitt also would block him from transferring to any ACC institution, but Shell has expressed no desire to attend a school in that conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt cruises past Delaware in season opener
- Pitt’s obscure opener still matters
- Pitt senior Weatherspoon’s work ethic second to none
- Seton-La Salle grad Orndoff excited about his role in Pitt offense
- Pitt’s ACC men’s basketball schedule announced
- Pitt notebook: Freshmen figure to play integral role again
- Panthers ramp up respect quotient for Delaware
- Pitt coordinator House rebuilds defense with depth
- Demise of BCS, implementation of playoff system means bigger paydays for power 5 conferences
- Pitt freshman running backs making steady progress
- FSU star QB Winston working to improve on, off field