Ex-Pitt running back Shell transferring to UCLA
Former Pitt running back Rushel Shell will transfer to UCLA, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.
Shell attended a UCLA practice Saturday and said he enjoyed the visit.
“I love it here in Los Angeles,” he said. “This whole environment is great.”
Shell posted on his Twitter account Monday night, “UCLA.”
Attempts by the Tribune-Review to reach Shell on Monday night were unsuccessful. His phone wasn't accepting messages. UCLA officials didn't return calls for comment.
Shell, who will be a sophomore this season, was No. 1 on Pitt's depth chart at running back this spring before pulling himself out of a practice March 22 with an injury. He asked for transfer papers a week later.
Pitt released him to UCLA and California, but school officials wouldn't allow him to transfer to Arizona or Arizona State. Former Pitt coach Todd Graham and some of his assistants who recruited Shell to Pitt are on the Arizona and Arizona State staffs.
Because of NCAA transfer rules, Shell will be forced to sit out next season.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt notebook: Conner quietly surpasses 1,000 yards rushing
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return
- 3 Pitt football recruits plan to enroll early
- Pitt puts focus to test in jumbled ACC Coastal race
- House has Pitt defense trending in right direction
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end