Ex-Pitt running back Shell transferring to UCLA
Former Pitt running back Rushel Shell will transfer to UCLA, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.
Shell attended a UCLA practice Saturday and said he enjoyed the visit.
“I love it here in Los Angeles,” he said. “This whole environment is great.”
Shell posted on his Twitter account Monday night, “UCLA.”
Attempts by the Tribune-Review to reach Shell on Monday night were unsuccessful. His phone wasn't accepting messages. UCLA officials didn't return calls for comment.
Shell, who will be a sophomore this season, was No. 1 on Pitt's depth chart at running back this spring before pulling himself out of a practice March 22 with an injury. He asked for transfer papers a week later.
Pitt released him to UCLA and California, but school officials wouldn't allow him to transfer to Arizona or Arizona State. Former Pitt coach Todd Graham and some of his assistants who recruited Shell to Pitt are on the Arizona and Arizona State staffs.
Because of NCAA transfer rules, Shell will be forced to sit out next season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt, WR Boyd look to break out against Virginia
- Pitt O-line responds to coach’s challenge
- Pitt football team staying humble amid 3-1 start
- Former Steelers assistant Archer returns to Heinz Field with Virginia
- Pitt, Virginia Tech patch holes in lineup
- Pitt notebook: RB Ollison thriving with aggressive running style
- Same cast, improved results for Pitt defense
- Defense is 1st priority at Pitt hoops opens practice
- Pitt coach McConnell-Serio confident in young team