Ex-Pitt running back Shell transferring to UCLA
Former Pitt running back Rushel Shell will transfer to UCLA, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.
Shell attended a UCLA practice Saturday and said he enjoyed the visit.
“I love it here in Los Angeles,” he said. “This whole environment is great.”
Shell posted on his Twitter account Monday night, “UCLA.”
Attempts by the Tribune-Review to reach Shell on Monday night were unsuccessful. His phone wasn't accepting messages. UCLA officials didn't return calls for comment.
Shell, who will be a sophomore this season, was No. 1 on Pitt's depth chart at running back this spring before pulling himself out of a practice March 22 with an injury. He asked for transfer papers a week later.
Pitt released him to UCLA and California, but school officials wouldn't allow him to transfer to Arizona or Arizona State. Former Pitt coach Todd Graham and some of his assistants who recruited Shell to Pitt are on the Arizona and Arizona State staffs.
Because of NCAA transfer rules, Shell will be forced to sit out next season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Star Hayward enjoys go-to role for St. Francis (Pa.)
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory
- Pitt’s acting athletic director is deft facilitator
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as Pitt AD comes to abrupt end
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Position move fits Pitt sophomore Artis
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Assistant at Duke eyes Pitt football job
- Pitt uses 2 2nd-half flurries to hold off Manhattan, 65-56
- Pitt offensive coordinator Rudolph still focused on Panthers
- Rossi: It’s OK if Pitt coaches don’t stay