Pitt dismisses two from football team, suspends prized QB recruit
Pitt football coach Paul Chryst dismissed two players Tuesday and suspended another in connection with two unrelated incidents last week.
Junior tight end Drew Carswell, 21, and junior safety Eric Williams, 20, are no longer with the team. Police charged them by summons with prohibited acts during a drug bust Thursday in Oakland.
Freshman quarterback Tra'von Chapman faces a pretrial hearing May 28 in Portage County, Ohio, on misdemeanor assault and unlawful restraint charges, according to court records.
Kent police say Chapman, 18, pulled the hair of a female and grabbed her around the neck Friday night, “leaving marks,” a criminal complaint states.
Chapman pleaded not guilty Tuesday at an arraignment in municipal court in Kent. His father, Thad Jemison, posted $1,150 bond, and Tra'von Chapman was released. A condition of his bond is that he have no contact with the alleged victim.
Chapman, the prized recruit in Pitt's Class of 2013, graduated early from Theodore Roosevelt High School in Kent in December and enrolled at Pitt in January. He participated in spring drills.
Carswell and Williams were expected to play key roles this season.
Carswell, Williams and junior defensive tackle K.K. Mosley-Smith, 21, were in a Juliet Street home police raided. Police also charged Mosley-Smith with prohibited acts. He remains on the team but has been suspended.
Chryst had no comment Tuesday, a Pitt spokesman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football team working to fatten up QB sack total on defense
- NFL players Fitzgerald, Donald to lead Pitt in Blue-Gold spring game
- Pitt’s Amara offers Vision of hope
- Pitt notebook: Defense shows up in scrimmage
- Howland: Pederson deserves more credit at Pitt
- Pitt heavily vested in linebackers’ progress
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills
- Pitt’s Welch dismissed from team
- Pitt baseball enjoying rise in expectations
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati