Pitt dismisses two from football team, suspends prized QB recruit
Pitt football coach Paul Chryst dismissed two players Tuesday and suspended another in connection with two unrelated incidents last week.
Junior tight end Drew Carswell, 21, and junior safety Eric Williams, 20, are no longer with the team. Police charged them by summons with prohibited acts during a drug bust Thursday in Oakland.
Freshman quarterback Tra'von Chapman faces a pretrial hearing May 28 in Portage County, Ohio, on misdemeanor assault and unlawful restraint charges, according to court records.
Kent police say Chapman, 18, pulled the hair of a female and grabbed her around the neck Friday night, “leaving marks,” a criminal complaint states.
Chapman pleaded not guilty Tuesday at an arraignment in municipal court in Kent. His father, Thad Jemison, posted $1,150 bond, and Tra'von Chapman was released. A condition of his bond is that he have no contact with the alleged victim.
Chapman, the prized recruit in Pitt's Class of 2013, graduated early from Theodore Roosevelt High School in Kent in December and enrolled at Pitt in January. He participated in spring drills.
Carswell and Williams were expected to play key roles this season.
Carswell, Williams and junior defensive tackle K.K. Mosley-Smith, 21, were in a Juliet Street home police raided. Police also charged Mosley-Smith with prohibited acts. He remains on the team but has been suspended.
Chryst had no comment Tuesday, a Pitt spokesman said.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Young leads Pitt’s new-look lineup past IUP in exhibition opener
- Coastal Division lead within reach for Panthers
- Clairton grad Gombar recalls Duke-Pitt games from mid-70s
- Young Pitt secondary has no fear; will be tested against Duke
- Pitt, Chryst pondering next move as stellar Duke defense awaits
- Pitt offensive line continues to make positive strides
- Former Pitt player praises latest recruit
- Pitt, IUP to experiment with 30-second shot clock
- Academic scandal saddens UNC coach Williams
- Pitt hoops picked 6th in ACC preseason poll