Report: Ex-Schenley star to commit to Pitt
Schenley graduate DeAndre Kane, who is transferring from Marshall, plans to commit to Pitt while visiting this weekend, CBS Sports reported Wednesday.
The arrival of the 6-foot-4 Kane, who averaged 15.1 points and seven assists a game as a junior for the Thundering Herd, would give the Panthers a much-needed boost at shooting guard after the graduation of top scorer Tray Woodall and the transfer of Trey Zeigler.
CBS Sports reported Kane needs to pass two classes to graduate from Marshall and become eligible to play immediately at Pitt next season. He has one season of eligibility remaining.
The Panthers have added four other players to their 2013 recruiting class: Mike Young, a power forward from McKeesport who played at St. Benedict Prep in Newark; Josh Newkirk, a shooting guard from Word of God Christian in Raleigh; Jamel Artis, a point forward from Baltimore who played at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass.; and Joseph Uchebo, a center from Chipola Junior College in Florida.
Kane played on Schenley's 2007 PIAA Class AAAA champions alongside former Pitt star DeJuan Blair and former St. John's star D.J. Kennedy. Kane was a member of three consecutive City League champions for the Spartans, averaging 33 points a game as a senior.
After a season at Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C., Kane committed to Seton Hall before signing with former Pitt assistant Tom Herrion at Marshall.
Kane sat out his freshman season as an academic casualty, then averaged at least 15 points a game the past three seasons — with a high of 16.5 as a sophomore — and was a two-time All-Conference USA second-team selection. He shot only 24.8 percent from 3-point range and 52.1 percent on free throws this past season but scored in double figures in 20 of 28 games, with seven games of 20 points or more and a season-high 33 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists against Hofstra.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Panthers drop heartbreaker in overtime to Virginia Tech
- Pitt adds Texas wide receiver as 16th commitment to Class of 2015
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Tough times are in past for Pitt senior guard Kiesel
- Pitt notebook: Pitino: This year’s Pitt team not as talented as past years
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- In recruiting, Pitt, Penn State make ‘social’ commentary
- Ohio linebacker commits to Pitt
- Gorman: Not just a no-brainer for Pine-Richland’s DiNucci
- Junior-college DE interested in signing with Pitt
- Pitt women fall short against No. 23 Syracuse