3 players, including former Sto-Rox star, leaving Pitt football team
Three members of Pitt's Class of 2012 decided to transfer.
Linebacker Deaysean Rippy of Sto-Rox said he's leaving the program after one year. Twins Demitrious and Chris Davis of Austintown Fitch High School in Youngstown, Ohio, also won't return to school, their father Chris Davis Sr. said.
None of the three players, who would have been redshirt freshmen this season, were listed on Pitt's two-deep depth chart at the end of spring drills. Rippy was rated a four-star prospect by Rivals.com. The Davis brothers were three-stars.
“I was on the verge of being sure,” he said. “I was kind of overwhelmed. I was an 18-year-old kid at the time. That's a lot of pressure.”
Rippy said he's unsure where he will enroll this year, but he said he has been in contact with some Pac-12 schools, including Colorado.
Recruited by former coach Todd Graham to play wide receiver, the Davis brothers remained committed to Pitt after Graham resigned at the end of the 2011 season. Two months later, they signed with coach Paul Chryst but never found a niche in his offense. Chris was moved to cornerback, and Demitrious played running back this spring.
Five players from Pitt's 16-man Class of 2012 have left school, including running back Rushel Shell and defensive lineman Terrell Jackson.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Richmond forward to play hoops at Pitt
- Ex-Baldwin, Pitt star Pinkston not giving up on NFL dream
- Vikings take Pitt tackle Clemmings in 4th round, ending long wait
- Pitt athletic director Barnes fully supportive of Power 5 autonomy
- Modic’s grand slam, pitching of Harris lift Pitt softball into regional final
- Pitt softball falls to Michigan in NCAA regional final