Pitt basketball team to play in Legends Classic
The Pitt men's basketball team will play in the 2013 Legends Classic in November, hosting two games at Petersen Events Center and playing two at Barclays Center in New York.
The Panthers will play two of three opponents — Houston, Stanford and Texas Tech — at Barclays Center in games that will be nationally televised Nov. 25-26 on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. The regional games at Petersen Events Center will be played between Nov. 17-21.
This marks Pitt's second appearance in the Legends Classic, part of a continuing effort by Pitt coach Jamie Dixon to play regularly in New York City. The Panthers won the 2008 title, beating Texas Tech and Washington State, in Newark, N.J.
Pitt announced earlier that the Panthers will host Penn State as part of the 2013 Big Ten/ACC Basketball Challenge on Tuesday, Dec. 3, at the Pete.
Pitt's 2013-14 ACC opponents were announced last month. The Panthers will play home-and-home games against four schools: Clemson, Maryland, North Carolina State and Syracuse.
Pitt's entire 2013-14 schedule will be released at a later date. The Panthers will return three starters from a 24-9 team that advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the 11th time in the past 12 seasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 Pitt football recruits plan to enroll early
- House has Pitt defense trending in right direction
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Pitt notebook: Zone-read plays suit Voytik’s strengths
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Pitt’s Dixon expecting more from point guard Robinson
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era