Pitt adds two more recruits
Pitt received its sixth commitment from the Class of 2014 when Patrick Amara of West Catholic High School in Philadelphia told coaches he will enroll next year.
Amara, 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, recorded seven sacks and 60 tackles at outside linebacker for Class AA West Catholic last season, but coach Brian Fluck plans to expand his duties to safety.
“He's athletic, has very good instincts and is very aggressive (at outside linebacker),” Fluck said. “What he did very well was when we needed to cover the slot man, he walked out and covered the slot man. But when we blitz, he is very effective off the corner.”
Amara, who has been timed in 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash, is rated a two-star prospect by Rivals.com. Amara chose Pitt over offers from several schools, most notably Central Florida, Buffalo and Bowling Green.
Pitt secured another commitment when cornerback Avonte Maddox of Martin Luther King High School in Detroit told coaches he plans to enroll. Maddox (5-9, 165)is rated a 2-star prospect by Rivals.com. He had offers from Toledo, Cincinnati, Ball State, Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt, IUP to experiment with 30-second shot clock
- Pitt offensive line continues to make positive strides
- Clairton grad Gombar recalls Duke-Pitt games from mid-70s
- Pitt notebook: RB Ibrahim makes most of opportunity
- Patience pays off for Duke as Cutcliffe turns program around
- Young Pitt secondary has no fear; will be tested against Duke