Pitt adds two more recruits
Pitt received its sixth commitment from the Class of 2014 when Patrick Amara of West Catholic High School in Philadelphia told coaches he will enroll next year.
Amara, 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, recorded seven sacks and 60 tackles at outside linebacker for Class AA West Catholic last season, but coach Brian Fluck plans to expand his duties to safety.
“He's athletic, has very good instincts and is very aggressive (at outside linebacker),” Fluck said. “What he did very well was when we needed to cover the slot man, he walked out and covered the slot man. But when we blitz, he is very effective off the corner.”
Amara, who has been timed in 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash, is rated a two-star prospect by Rivals.com. Amara chose Pitt over offers from several schools, most notably Central Florida, Buffalo and Bowling Green.
Pitt secured another commitment when cornerback Avonte Maddox of Martin Luther King High School in Detroit told coaches he plans to enroll. Maddox (5-9, 165)is rated a 2-star prospect by Rivals.com. He had offers from Toledo, Cincinnati, Ball State, Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s Blewitt playing through pain
- Akron’s Lane Jr. faces dad’s alma mater
- Pitt embarrassed by Akron at home, 21-10
- Latest loss has Panthers looking for answers
- Root Sports prepares for Pitt/WVU telecast overlap
- Pitt notebook: Akron ground game catches Panthers off guard
- Pitt notebook: Chryst says Voytik may be overthinking