Linebacker Mason won't return to Pitt
Linebacker Dan Mason, who recovered from a serious knee injury to play in five games for Pitt last season, is no longer with the team. Mason, who had one year of eligibility remaining, did not practice in the spring while dealing with off-the-field issues.
Mason, a Penn Hills High School graduate, missed most of two seasons after suffering nerve and ligament damage and a dislocated kneecap against Miami on Sept. 23, 2010.
Also, former Pitt offensive lineman Arthur Doakes, who was suspended for the BBVA Compass Bowl last season but participated in spring drills, has transferred to Stony Brook (N.Y.) University.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era
- Pitt notebook: Voytik recovers despite pressure
- Pitt’s Dixon expecting more from point guard Robinson
- Pitt notebook: Zone-read plays suit Voytik’s strengths
- New Dixon assistant has Family ties
- In weak ACC Coastal Division, Pitt football team still has hope
- Pitt Gameday: Panthers seek midseason reboot in attempt to regain footing