Pitt notebook: Panthers will find spots for freshman tackle Johnson
By Jerry DiPaola
Published: Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, 8:21 p.m.
• Freshman Dorian Johnson remains the backup to T.J. Clemmings at right tackle, but he lost his redshirt Saturday when Pitt coach Paul Chryst used him as a blocker in some short-yardage plays. Chryst said Johnson, a prized recruit from Belle Vernon, is ready and will be used in other ways throughout the season. “Right now, we think Dorian's a guy that is certainly ready to contribute and we think there are ways that we can use him,” Chryst said. “It may differ from game to game, but certainly when we play a guy we want to make sure that we're committed enough to make it a worthwhile year for the young man. We'll have some things for Dorian. If something happened at one of the tackle spots, he'd absolutely play.”
• Freshman wide receiver Tyler Boyd was named ACC Receiver of the Week and 247Sports National True Freshman of the Week. Boyd caught six passes for 134 yards and a touchdown and scored on a 33-yard run in the Panthers' 49-27 win over New Mexico. “There's something about me, I'm real athletic. I just want the ball in my hands,” Boyd said. He said Pitt coaches asked him during the recruitment process if he wanted to play defensive back or wide receiver. “I said I wanted to be on the offensive side. I can do real special things with the ball in my hands.”
• Pitt (1-1) is nearly injury-free going into Saturday's game at Duke. “Right now, knock on wood, we're pretty good,” Chryst said. “We came out of the game all right. (Outside linebacker) Bam (Bradley) went through warm-ups and didn't go (shoulder injury), but hopefully that's better now. There is nobody right now that won't practice, as of my understanding.”
• Pitt's home game against Virginia on Sept. 28 at Heinz Field will be televised by Root Sports. Kickoff is set for 12:30 p.m. The game is homecoming.
— Jerry DiPaola
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pitt’s Donald sweeps Outland, Bednarik awards, named All-American
- Pitt’s Donald wins Lombardi Award
- Pitt to face MAC champ Bowling Green in Little Caesars Pizza Bowl
- Pitt defensive lineman Donald brings home Bronko Nagurski Award