Hampton's Ryan Luther picks Pitt
Pitt has received a verbal commitment from Hampton forward Ryan Luther, giving the Panthers their second recruit with WPIAL ties for the Class of 2014.
The 6-foot-8, 210-pound Luther joins a recruiting class that also includes former Beaver Falls star Sheldon Jeter, a 6-8 forward who is spending a year at Polk State College in Florida after transferring from Vanderbilt after his freshman season.
Luther averaged 21 points a game last season to lead Hampton to the WPIAL Class AAAA final after taking the Talbots to the Class AAA final as a sophomore. He chose Pitt over Dayton, Duquesne and George Washington. The latter two schools also are offered scholarships to his twin brother, Colin, a 6-6 guard.
Pitt received a commitment this past spring from another WPIAL star in Lincoln Park sophomore shooting guard Maverick Rowan. The Panthers also are pursuing Satchel Pierce, a 7-foot center from The Kiski School in Saltsburg. Pierce visited Pitt last weekend, is taking an official visit to Miami this weekend and is expected to visit Marquette next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt junior RB Ibrahim out for season with Achilles injury
- Woodland Hills pipeline a great fit for Pitt defense this season
- Reports: Pitt’s Newkirk transferring to Indiana
- For freshman safety Whitehead, a role reversal at Pitt
- Pitt’s crop of cornerbacks are set for bump-and-run scheme
- Pitt notebook: Narduzzi says NFL scouts like winners
- Pitt’s run-stuffing defensive line all ready to make a stand
- Pitt notebook: Offense starts slowly in final live training camp scrimmage
- Freshman WR Brungo wants to prove he belongs at Pitt
- Pitt notebook: Bookser confident as O-line gets makeover