College football notebook: ASU's Graham admits Pitt job was 'mistake'
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Arizona State coach Todd Graham admitted taking the job at Pitt was a “mistake,” according to an SI.com report.
Graham, in his second year at Arizona State, said the timing of his move forced him to tell the Panthers' players by text rather than in person.
“I didn't have any control over the timing,” Graham told SI.com. “I had to resign my job to come here, and had to be on a plane at 8:30 the next morning. I wish I could have been allowed to have the time to (talk to the team).”
Graham said Pitt wasn't right for him.
“I probably made a mistake there. ... It was not a good fit,” he said. “If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have ever taken the job at Pitt. I'd have stayed at Tulsa and taken the job here at Arizona State.”
• The former U.S. senator brought in to monitor changes at Penn State said it should keep doing what it's been doing, and that a further loosening of NCAA sanctions is possible next year. Athletics integrity monitor George Mitchell briefly addressed university trustees, saying the school needs to maintain the effort it has been demonstrating. Mitchell didn't tell the trustees which other penalties might be reduced.
• Expect Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel to decide before the Aggies' bowl game whether he'll stay in college for another year or declare for the 2014 NFL Draft, his coach said. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin plans to sit down with Manziel and discuss the future after the Aggies' regular-season finale against Missouri on Nov. 30.
• Texas will be without running back Daje Johnson and fullback Chet Moss for its Thanksgiving Day game against Texas Tech due to one-game suspensions, CBSSports.com reported.
• Minnesota's top receiver, Derrick Engel, will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football team working to fatten up QB sack total on defense
- NFL players Fitzgerald, Donald to lead Pitt in Blue-Gold spring game
- Pitt’s Amara offers Vision of hope
- Pitt notebook: Defense shows up in scrimmage
- Starkey: The fall of Pitt basketball
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati
- Pitt football team adds 2-game series with Tennessee
- Season offers many teaching points for Pitt
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills