Pitt football notebook: 3 injured Panthers won't play against Miami
• Pitt coach Paul Chryst shifted from his usual reluctance on talking about injuries Monday when he announced that offensive left tackle Adam Bisnowaty (back), defensive end Ejuan Price (back) and tight end Scott Orndoff (leg) won't play Friday against Miami. Bisnowaty, a redshirt freshman from Fox Chapel, has started only one game in the past four after winning the job early in training camp. Bisnowaty's back injury is not a new development, Chryst said. “We knew in the beginning of the season. He fought through a lot.” Fifth-year senior Juantez Hollins, an Aliquippa graduate who made his first start of the season Saturday at Syracuse, will start at left tackle. Price will miss his sixth game in a row; Orndoff his third.
• Meanwhile, Chryst said he is “holding out hope” that senior left guard Cory King (back) will be able to play Friday. If King does play, it will be his first appearance since Oct. 12. Also, wide receiver Devin Street (ankle, elbow) and middle linebacker Shane Gordon (unspecified injury) did not finish the Syracuse game and are questionable to play in the final regular-season game Friday. “We'll see this week where they're at with (the injuries),” Chryst said.
• Chryst remains unsatisfied with the Pitt running game. “We haven't been able to consistenly run it where you say you earned the right to say you are good rushing team,” he said. “For us to play our best game, we have to run the ball better.” Pitt, ranked 13th in the 14-team ACC in rushing yards per game (105.4), continues to use Isaac Bennett (145 carries, 654 yards) and James Conner (115, 548) at running back. But Conner got only one carry after halftime at Syracuse and Bennett scored the decisive touchdown on a 5-yard run. “Nothing dramatic happened that we said James isn't doing this,” Chryst said. “Certainly, we need both. (Conner's inactivity) was more Isaac was doing good stuff and didn't have enough kicks at the can that you had to spell him and get James in.”
— Jerry DiPaola
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt suspends cornerback Howard
- Dixon, Pitt men’s basketball team aren’t planning island vacation
- Pitt football growing under Chryst