Douglas to be new Pitt defensive backs coach
Troy Douglas, who is entering his 27th season as a college football coach, has accepted a position on the Pitt staff, sources told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday.
Douglas, a Jacksonville, Fla., native, was defensive backs coach at Iowa State the past three years and has been with 11 schools since he graduated from Appalachian State in 1988.
He has coached several defensive backs who played in the NFL, including five while he was at South Florida from 2006-08.
Douglas' players include current Oakland Raider Tracy Porter, who had the key interception in Super Bowl XLIV for the New Orleans Saints; 2008 first-round draft choice and All-American Mike Jenkins (Raiders); Mistral Raymond (Minnesota Vikings); Nate Allen (Philadelphia Eagles); and Da'Norris Searcy (Buffalo Bills).
Jenkins, Allen, Raymond, Trae Williams (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Jerome Murphy (St. Louis Rams) were with Douglas at South Florida, where the defense finished 10th in the nation in 2008.
Douglas coached Porter at Indiana and Searcy at North Carolina.
He also has coached at South Carolina State (2003), Michigan State (2001-02), SMU (1997-2000), UTEP (1995-96), East Tennessee State (1992-94) and West Chester (1989-91).
Douglas played receiver at Appalachian State, where he was a four-year starter and ranked third all time when he graduated with 90 receptions for 1,401 yards.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Pitt men’s basketball team, trouble in paradise
- Pitt football notebook: Panthers’ depth at RB, offensive line shows against Syracuse
- Penn State wrestling gets best of Pitt again
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- On senior day, Pitt not giving up the fight
- Pitt found opponent it had hoped for in Hawaii
- Pressure mounts on Pitt coach Chryst as 3rd season will soon end
- Pitt offensive tackle Clemmings is drawing long looks from NFL
- Pitt receiver Boyd’s comments spark dialogue from coach, teammates
- Pitt notebook: Running back Conner showing no signs of slowing down