Altoona LB commits to Pitt for 2015
Pitt received its third commitment from the WPIAL's Class of 2015 on Tuesday when Altoona junior linebacker Kevin Givens told coaches he plans to enroll next year.
Altoona coach John Franco said Penn State, West Virginia, Michigan and Michigan State also have shown interest, but he added the Nittany Lions didn't want to offer a scholarship until Givens met coach James Franklin. His scheduled visit to Penn State was postponed last weekend by inclement weather.
Givens, rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, had offers from Pitt, Boston College, Temple and UMass.
“The (Pitt) coaching staff has been great to him,” Franco said. “He related to them very well.”
Franco labeled Givens, 16, as a “project.”
“He doesn't get it yet, but when he gets it, look out,” he said. “He has a great frame (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and can easily put on 30 pounds. He is a great worker in the weight room.”
Givens can play defensive end or outside linebacker, Franco said.
“He's at his best with his hand on the ground, playing weak-side defensive end where he can really rush the passer,” Franco said.
Givens also is a versatile performer on Altoona's track and field team, participating in sprints, shot put and javelin.
“He would be a good, old-fashioned decathlete,” Franco said.
Pitt also has commitments from juniors Alex Paulina of Canon-McMillan and Nick Bowers of Kittanning.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stakes raised for Pitt spring game
- Top 30 guard shooting Heron decommits from Pitt
- Pitt linebacker Grigsby seizes opportunity during spring drills
- Pitt’s Johnson leaves men’s basketball team
- Nice meal on line in Pitt spring game
- Pitt senior Kiesel selected by WNBA’s Tulsa Shock
- Penguins notebook: Dumoulin seeking redemption
- Ex-Pitt cornerback and Clairton graduate Howard to join Slippery Rock football team
- SSA grad Briggs finds home on Pitt defense after 2 years at RB
- Challingsworth could help Pitt’s depth at wide receiver