Pitt hires former NFL WR Greg Lewis as assistant coach
Like his predecessor, new Pitt wide receivers coach Greg Lewis played in the NFL.
The difference: Lewis carries a resume that includes one of the most dramatic moments in Minnesota Vikings history.
Lewis, who replaces Bobby Engram, played eight seasons in the NFL — six with the Philadelphia Eagles (2003-2008), where he played in Super Bowl XXXIX, and two in Minnesota (2009-2010).
In one of his first games with the Vikings in '09, Lewis caught a 32-yard touchdown pass from Brett Favre while tiptoeing the end line with 2 seconds left to beat the San Francisco 49ers, 27-24.
He finished his NFL career with 152 receptions for 1,992 yards and eight touchdowns.
He earned four letters at Illinois after joining the team as a walk-on in 1999. Similarly, he entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie.
Lewis, 34, launched his coaching career as an intern with the Eagles in 2012 before guiding wide receivers at the University of San Diego that season. He was the San Jose State wide receivers coach last season, including first-team All-Mountain West receiver Chandler Jones.
“Greg really impressed us with his knowledge, energy and desire to teach the game,” Pitt coach Paul Chryst said. “His background as a college and NFL receiver will serve our players and staff well.”
Engram, a 14-year NFL veteran, joined the staff of the Baltimore Ravens.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Ohio offensive lineman verbally commits to Pitt
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Pitt notebook: Panthers defense responds to questions with shutout
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- Pitt notebook: Offensive linemen rotate during rout over Delaware
- Pitt cruises past Delaware in season opener
- Pitt senior Weatherspoon’s work ethic second to none
- FSU star QB Winston working to improve on, off field
- Ex-Pitt basketball star Patterson signs overseas
- Johnson primed for second season at Pitt