Pitt hires former NFL WR Greg Lewis as assistant coach
Like his predecessor, new Pitt wide receivers coach Greg Lewis played in the NFL.
The difference: Lewis carries a resume that includes one of the most dramatic moments in Minnesota Vikings history.
Lewis, who replaces Bobby Engram, played eight seasons in the NFL — six with the Philadelphia Eagles (2003-2008), where he played in Super Bowl XXXIX, and two in Minnesota (2009-2010).
In one of his first games with the Vikings in '09, Lewis caught a 32-yard touchdown pass from Brett Favre while tiptoeing the end line with 2 seconds left to beat the San Francisco 49ers, 27-24.
He finished his NFL career with 152 receptions for 1,992 yards and eight touchdowns.
He earned four letters at Illinois after joining the team as a walk-on in 1999. Similarly, he entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie.
Lewis, 34, launched his coaching career as an intern with the Eagles in 2012 before guiding wide receivers at the University of San Diego that season. He was the San Jose State wide receivers coach last season, including first-team All-Mountain West receiver Chandler Jones.
“Greg really impressed us with his knowledge, energy and desire to teach the game,” Pitt coach Paul Chryst said. “His background as a college and NFL receiver will serve our players and staff well.”
Engram, a 14-year NFL veteran, joined the staff of the Baltimore Ravens.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football team staying humble amid 3-1 start
- Pitt notebook: RB Ollison thriving with aggressive running style
- Pitt notebook: Panthers keeping many players involved
- Pitt holds off Virginia Tech in ACC opener
- Defense is 1st priority at Pitt hoops opens practice
- Pitt defensive front wreaking havoc on QBs
- Pitt notebook: Voytik proves value by baffling Hokies with running ability
- Pitt coach McConnell-Serio confident in young team
- Pitt, Virginia Tech patch holes in lineup
- Pitt volleyball team steadily emerging in ACC
- Pitt LBs coach draws inspiration from late brother’s cancer battle