Pitt to host ACC wrestling championship in 2015
Pitt's ACC regular-season-winning wrestling program will be the school's first to serve as host of an ACC championship.
The ACC on Thursday announced its championship events schedule for the 2014-2015 academic year, and the wrestling tournament is coming to Pittsburgh on March 8 at Petersen Events Center.
“We definitely have a great facility to host it,” Pitt coach Jason Peters said. “We have to do the best job we can to win the thing.”
In its first season in the ACC this year, Pitt wrestling won the conference regular-season title with a 6-0 record before finishing second to host Virginia Tech in the tournament in Blacksburg, Va.
This year's tournament falls at an advantageous time for Peters.
The PIAA wrestling finals will be March 7 in Hershey, which Peters said he now will be able to attend.
In the past, Pitt often was wrestling in its conference tournament the same night as PIAAs, meaning Peters couldn't go to recruit.
“We'll hope to get some of those kids and parents to come out after states,” he said.
Pitt most recently served as host for a major collegiate wrestling tournament in 2008, when the Eastern Wrestling League held its championship at Fitzgerald Field House.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt trying to make bid for NCAA women’s field
- Miami’s 67-63 victory further damages Pitt’s NCAA Tourney hopes
- Safety Vinopal, former teammates perform for NFL scouts at Pitt’s Pro Day
- Panthers still clinging to hope entering home finale
- Role change suiting Pitt’s Jones just fine
- Pitt’s Wright excelling in classroom
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- Defensive woes resurface for Pitt men’s basketball team
- Pitt women end regular season with win over Clemson
- Pitt’s weakness ‘pretty obvious’ to all
- Pitt’s Young leaves impression with inside game