Pitt to host ACC wrestling championship in 2015
Pitt's ACC regular-season-winning wrestling program will be the school's first to serve as host of an ACC championship.
The ACC on Thursday announced its championship events schedule for the 2014-2015 academic year, and the wrestling tournament is coming to Pittsburgh on March 8 at Petersen Events Center.
“We definitely have a great facility to host it,” Pitt coach Jason Peters said. “We have to do the best job we can to win the thing.”
In its first season in the ACC this year, Pitt wrestling won the conference regular-season title with a 6-0 record before finishing second to host Virginia Tech in the tournament in Blacksburg, Va.
This year's tournament falls at an advantageous time for Peters.
The PIAA wrestling finals will be March 7 in Hershey, which Peters said he now will be able to attend.
In the past, Pitt often was wrestling in its conference tournament the same night as PIAAs, meaning Peters couldn't go to recruit.
“We'll hope to get some of those kids and parents to come out after states,” he said.
Pitt most recently served as host for a major collegiate wrestling tournament in 2008, when the Eastern Wrestling League held its championship at Fitzgerald Field House.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No. 11 Purdue presents tall order for Pitt
- Pitt notebook: Boyd undecided about leaving early for NFL
- Pitt notebook: Offensive struggles continue
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- Pitt football team’s success is paying off with recruiting buzz
- Miami’s Scott has improved program since replacing Golden
- Pitt’s Dixon monitoring minutes early in season
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Pitt’s Young taking a pass, improving his all-around game