Pitt to host ACC wrestling championship in 2015
Pitt's ACC regular-season-winning wrestling program will be the school's first to serve as host of an ACC championship.
The ACC on Thursday announced its championship events schedule for the 2014-2015 academic year, and the wrestling tournament is coming to Pittsburgh on March 8 at Petersen Events Center.
“We definitely have a great facility to host it,” Pitt coach Jason Peters said. “We have to do the best job we can to win the thing.”
In its first season in the ACC this year, Pitt wrestling won the conference regular-season title with a 6-0 record before finishing second to host Virginia Tech in the tournament in Blacksburg, Va.
This year's tournament falls at an advantageous time for Peters.
The PIAA wrestling finals will be March 7 in Hershey, which Peters said he now will be able to attend.
In the past, Pitt often was wrestling in its conference tournament the same night as PIAAs, meaning Peters couldn't go to recruit.
“We'll hope to get some of those kids and parents to come out after states,” he said.
Pitt most recently served as host for a major collegiate wrestling tournament in 2008, when the Eastern Wrestling League held its championship at Fitzgerald Field House.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Assistant at Duke eyes Pitt football job
- Pitt coordinator Rudolph is considered hot coaching commodity
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as Pitt AD comes to abrupt end
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Many Pitt fans endorse move to oust Pederson as athletic director
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Pitt uses 2 2nd-half flurries to hold off Manhattan, 65-56
- Rossi: It’s OK if Pitt coaches don’t stay
- Assistant coach who followed Haywood to Pitt settles lawsuit with school
- If Chryst leaves Pitt, list of potential replacements is varied
- Pitt recruit: Chryst seeking changes, could stay