Pitt's Chryst names Voytik starting quarterback
Chad Voytik was pleased and proud after coach Paul Chryst named him Pitt's starting quarterback.
But he wasn't surprised. After all, he had been taking every snap with the first-team offense for the past week.
In fact, the final practice of camp Thursday was one of his best, especially a pinpoint toss that Manasseh Garner took over his shoulder near the sideline.
“It feels good. It's been a long time since I've been here,” said Voytik, who is entering his third season in the program. “Just to be named the starter, it's an honor.”
Chryst is most pleased that Voytik was more concerned about preparing for the season than winning his coach's approval.
“I don't think he feels like he's arrived,” Chryst said. “That's what I like.”
Chryst also said Reggie Mitchell will start at cornerback, next to Lafayette Pitts. Ray Vinopal and Terrish Webb will be the starting safeties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as Pitt AD comes to abrupt end
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Pitt coach Chryst expected to take Wisconsin job
- Many Pitt fans endorse move to oust Pederson as athletic director
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory
- Pitt’s acting athletic director is deft facilitator