Pitt's Chryst names Voytik starting quarterback
Chad Voytik was pleased and proud after coach Paul Chryst named him Pitt's starting quarterback.
But he wasn't surprised. After all, he had been taking every snap with the first-team offense for the past week.
In fact, the final practice of camp Thursday was one of his best, especially a pinpoint toss that Manasseh Garner took over his shoulder near the sideline.
“It feels good. It's been a long time since I've been here,” said Voytik, who is entering his third season in the program. “Just to be named the starter, it's an honor.”
Chryst is most pleased that Voytik was more concerned about preparing for the season than winning his coach's approval.
“I don't think he feels like he's arrived,” Chryst said. “That's what I like.”
Chryst also said Reggie Mitchell will start at cornerback, next to Lafayette Pitts. Ray Vinopal and Terrish Webb will be the starting safeties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Notre Dame leads powerhouses in ACC; Pitt women picked 14th
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Pitt’s Dixon expecting more from point guard Robinson
- Pitt tackle Bisnowaty suspended for Virginia game
- In weak ACC Coastal Division, Pitt football team still has hope
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era