Pitt's Chryst names Voytik starting quarterback
Chad Voytik was pleased and proud after coach Paul Chryst named him Pitt's starting quarterback.
But he wasn't surprised. After all, he had been taking every snap with the first-team offense for the past week.
In fact, the final practice of camp Thursday was one of his best, especially a pinpoint toss that Manasseh Garner took over his shoulder near the sideline.
“It feels good. It's been a long time since I've been here,” said Voytik, who is entering his third season in the program. “Just to be named the starter, it's an honor.”
Chryst is most pleased that Voytik was more concerned about preparing for the season than winning his coach's approval.
“I don't think he feels like he's arrived,” Chryst said. “That's what I like.”
Chryst also said Reggie Mitchell will start at cornerback, next to Lafayette Pitts. Ray Vinopal and Terrish Webb will be the starting safeties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s secondary has room for improvement
- Pitt notebook: O-line coach still uncertain who will start at center vs. Iowa
- Pitt football coach Chryst refutes analyst Wannstedt’s opinion
- Pitt football notebook: Chryst still seeking improvements in running game
- Pitt rallies to defeat Florida International, stay undefeated
- Pitt showing respect for Florida International
- Pitt coach Chryst embraces juggling of Pitt O-line
- Youthful Pitt DEs making strides under Pitt assistant coach’s firm approach
- Pitt notebook: Backup Anderson spells Voytik for series