Pitt's Chryst names Voytik starting quarterback
Chad Voytik was pleased and proud after coach Paul Chryst named him Pitt's starting quarterback.
But he wasn't surprised. After all, he had been taking every snap with the first-team offense for the past week.
In fact, the final practice of camp Thursday was one of his best, especially a pinpoint toss that Manasseh Garner took over his shoulder near the sideline.
“It feels good. It's been a long time since I've been here,” said Voytik, who is entering his third season in the program. “Just to be named the starter, it's an honor.”
Chryst is most pleased that Voytik was more concerned about preparing for the season than winning his coach's approval.
“I don't think he feels like he's arrived,” Chryst said. “That's what I like.”
Chryst also said Reggie Mitchell will start at cornerback, next to Lafayette Pitts. Ray Vinopal and Terrish Webb will be the starting safeties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Unity rally aims to counter negativity of KKK message in ’97
- Official: Buyer expected soon
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Bill Clinton to campaign in Pittsburgh for Pa. gubernatorial candidate
- ‘Chorus Line’ a kick for new generation
- Sweet, gruesome treats and crafts combine in Halloween party
- ‘Forever Plaid’ launches Civic Theatre season