Pitt's Chryst names Voytik starting quarterback
Chad Voytik was pleased and proud after coach Paul Chryst named him Pitt's starting quarterback.
But he wasn't surprised. After all, he had been taking every snap with the first-team offense for the past week.
In fact, the final practice of camp Thursday was one of his best, especially a pinpoint toss that Manasseh Garner took over his shoulder near the sideline.
“It feels good. It's been a long time since I've been here,” said Voytik, who is entering his third season in the program. “Just to be named the starter, it's an honor.”
Chryst is most pleased that Voytik was more concerned about preparing for the season than winning his coach's approval.
“I don't think he feels like he's arrived,” Chryst said. “That's what I like.”
Chryst also said Reggie Mitchell will start at cornerback, next to Lafayette Pitts. Ray Vinopal and Terrish Webb will be the starting safeties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tough times are in past for Pitt senior guard Kiesel
- Junior-college DE interested in signing with Pitt
- Juco center Nix looks to fill void at Pitt
- Pitt, Louisville square off after unusually long layoffs
- In recruiting, Pitt, Penn State make ‘social’ commentary
- Pitt women’s basketball team upends Boston College
- Ohio linebacker commits to Pitt
- Pitt point guard recruit trying to bolster 2015 class
- Pitt’s Johnson to have shoulder surgery
- Pitt freshman wrestler Forys flourishing in 1st ACC season
- Pitt offers scholarship to Pine-Richland QB DiNucci