Pitt's Chryst names Voytik starting quarterback
Chad Voytik was pleased and proud after coach Paul Chryst named him Pitt's starting quarterback.
But he wasn't surprised. After all, he had been taking every snap with the first-team offense for the past week.
In fact, the final practice of camp Thursday was one of his best, especially a pinpoint toss that Manasseh Garner took over his shoulder near the sideline.
“It feels good. It's been a long time since I've been here,” said Voytik, who is entering his third season in the program. “Just to be named the starter, it's an honor.”
Chryst is most pleased that Voytik was more concerned about preparing for the season than winning his coach's approval.
“I don't think he feels like he's arrived,” Chryst said. “That's what I like.”
Chryst also said Reggie Mitchell will start at cornerback, next to Lafayette Pitts. Ray Vinopal and Terrish Webb will be the starting safeties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Senior running back Bennett quietly filled role during Pitt career
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- Pitt football notebook: Athletic department seeking fans’ input
- Pitt center Randall rebounds from injury
- Pitt prepares for speedy Miami with bowl eligibility on the line
- Pitt notebook: Chryst keeps Panthers motivated amid adversity
- Pitt eager to grapple with long-standing rival Penn State on wrestling mat
- Penn State wrestling gets best of Pitt again
- Inching closer to return, Pitt’s Wright could boost defense
- For Pitt men’s basketball team, trouble in paradise
- Pitt guard Jones takes away positives after loss to Hawaii