RMU's Toole won't be headed to Siena
College Football Videos
Robert Morris men's basketball coach Andy Toole won't be headed to Siena College.
According to the Albany Times Union, Siena hired Loyola (Md.) coach Jimmy Patsos on Tuesday.
Patsos, Toole and Virginia Commonwealth assistant coach Mike Rhoades were reported as finalists for the position to replace Mitch Buonaguro, who was fired last month following an 8-24 season and a ninth-place finish in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Toole interviewed for the job on the Siena campus on Thursday.
Patsos has a 143-135 record in nine seasons at Loyola, a rival of Siena in the MAAC. Loyola was 47-21 over the past two years, which included a NCAA trip in 2012.
Toole has been at Robert Morris for the past three seasons, replacing Mike Rice, who took the Rutgers job. Toole, 32, compiled a 68-36 record at RMU. Toole did not return calls seeking comment.
Toole's team won the 2013 Northeast Conference regular-season title and made the NEC Tournament finals twice, losing to Long Island in 2011 and 1012.
His team went 2-1 in the 2012 CollegeInsiders.com Tournament and was 1-1 in the 2013 NIT, which included a 59-57 upset win against defending NCAA champion Kentucky.
The Kentucky win put Toole on the watch list as an up-and-coming coach.
There are many coaching positions currently opened, but Toole hasn't been linked to any. Some of the openings include Hofstra, North Carolina Asheville, Marist and Florida Gulf Coast.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Ireland voters expected to OK gay marriage
- Connellsville’s Wiltrout sets another record, wins 2nd PIAA title
- Eiffel Tower temporarily shut down as employees walk out
- Murray, Alpha notify West Virginia coal miners of layoffs
- Allegheny County cutting ties with Corizon Health following death of 2 inmates at county jail
- Local man celebrates 50th birthday with family and friends
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Pedestrian struck, killed by train in Coraopolis
- Trooper fatally shoots burglary suspect inside Somerset Twp. grocery store
- Baldwin-Whitehall teacher charged with assault for hitting male student in chest