Robert Morris falls in opener
College Football Videos
RICHMOND, Ky. — Eastern Kentucky quarterback Jared McClain completed 16 of 21 passes for 155 yards and two scores as the No. 19 Colonels (1-0) defeated Robert Morris (0-1), 38-6, in the first nonconference game of the season.
Penn State transfer quarterback Paul Jones completed 16 of 28 passes for 177 yards and a touchdown in his Colonials debut. Alex Caratelli scored Robert Morris' only touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Jones late in the second quarter. Deonte Howard led all rushers with 58 yards for Robert Morris.
McClain also added two running touchdowns, and four Eastern Kentucky receivers had at least 20 receiving yards. Nathan Watts and Ike Ariguzo each caught a touchdown pass.
The Eastern Kentucky defense picked off a pass and recovered a fumble and limited Robert Morris to 2 of 12 on third-down conversions.
Eastern Kentucky controlled the game offensively, gaining 401 total yards, compared with 232 for Robert Morris. The Colonels scored the opening 21 points, and led 28-6 at halftime.
The Colonels won their season opener for the first time since 2000.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defense must replace 3 injured starters after victory
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Steelers’ Taylor recovering from forearm surgery
- Police: 3 people dead in shooting at UPS facility
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Steelers film session: Old-fashioned power football produces victory
- Filmmaker: Ambush suspect was in my documentary
- U.S., Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria, Iraq
- Sears leaving Century III after 3 decades in West Mifflin
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener