Robert Morris falls in opener
College Football Videos
RICHMOND, Ky. — Eastern Kentucky quarterback Jared McClain completed 16 of 21 passes for 155 yards and two scores as the No. 19 Colonels (1-0) defeated Robert Morris (0-1), 38-6, in the first nonconference game of the season.
Penn State transfer quarterback Paul Jones completed 16 of 28 passes for 177 yards and a touchdown in his Colonials debut. Alex Caratelli scored Robert Morris' only touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Jones late in the second quarter. Deonte Howard led all rushers with 58 yards for Robert Morris.
McClain also added two running touchdowns, and four Eastern Kentucky receivers had at least 20 receiving yards. Nathan Watts and Ike Ariguzo each caught a touchdown pass.
The Eastern Kentucky defense picked off a pass and recovered a fumble and limited Robert Morris to 2 of 12 on third-down conversions.
Eastern Kentucky controlled the game offensively, gaining 401 total yards, compared with 232 for Robert Morris. The Colonels scored the opening 21 points, and led 28-6 at halftime.
The Colonels won their season opener for the first time since 2000.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- Probiotic bacteria help conquer ‘superbugs’
- Arab League gets serious on terrorism
- Wisconsin beats McConnell, Arizona, 85-78, to advance to Final Four
- Bordonaro boosts East girls to 79-72 victory in Cager Classic
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Scaife additions to elevate status of two museums
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of a union retiree’s pension