Robert Morris falls in opener
College Football Videos
RICHMOND, Ky. — Eastern Kentucky quarterback Jared McClain completed 16 of 21 passes for 155 yards and two scores as the No. 19 Colonels (1-0) defeated Robert Morris (0-1), 38-6, in the first nonconference game of the season.
Penn State transfer quarterback Paul Jones completed 16 of 28 passes for 177 yards and a touchdown in his Colonials debut. Alex Caratelli scored Robert Morris' only touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Jones late in the second quarter. Deonte Howard led all rushers with 58 yards for Robert Morris.
McClain also added two running touchdowns, and four Eastern Kentucky receivers had at least 20 receiving yards. Nathan Watts and Ike Ariguzo each caught a touchdown pass.
The Eastern Kentucky defense picked off a pass and recovered a fumble and limited Robert Morris to 2 of 12 on third-down conversions.
Eastern Kentucky controlled the game offensively, gaining 401 total yards, compared with 232 for Robert Morris. The Colonels scored the opening 21 points, and led 28-6 at halftime.
The Colonels won their season opener for the first time since 2000.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Turkey Trot runners turn out to burn calories despite chilly Pittsburgh temps
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Apartment development outlined for former Schenley High School in Pittsburgh
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Pitt plays best game of the season in rout of Kansas State
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Queen of crime writing P.D. James dies at 94
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Blairsville judge accused in hit-run set to enter program for 1st-time offenders