Robert Morris falls in opener
College Football Videos
RICHMOND, Ky. — Eastern Kentucky quarterback Jared McClain completed 16 of 21 passes for 155 yards and two scores as the No. 19 Colonels (1-0) defeated Robert Morris (0-1), 38-6, in the first nonconference game of the season.
Penn State transfer quarterback Paul Jones completed 16 of 28 passes for 177 yards and a touchdown in his Colonials debut. Alex Caratelli scored Robert Morris' only touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Jones late in the second quarter. Deonte Howard led all rushers with 58 yards for Robert Morris.
McClain also added two running touchdowns, and four Eastern Kentucky receivers had at least 20 receiving yards. Nathan Watts and Ike Ariguzo each caught a touchdown pass.
The Eastern Kentucky defense picked off a pass and recovered a fumble and limited Robert Morris to 2 of 12 on third-down conversions.
Eastern Kentucky controlled the game offensively, gaining 401 total yards, compared with 232 for Robert Morris. The Colonels scored the opening 21 points, and led 28-6 at halftime.
The Colonels won their season opener for the first time since 2000.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates add six players to roster, including OF Polanco
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Harmony man facing charges in fatal crash
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Pittsburgh mayor says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Regulators release details of Highmark’s post-UPMC transition plan
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- Study to look at financial impact of state’s gas boom
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Ohio offensive lineman verbally commits to Pitt