Robert Morris falls in opener
College Football Videos
RICHMOND, Ky. — Eastern Kentucky quarterback Jared McClain completed 16 of 21 passes for 155 yards and two scores as the No. 19 Colonels (1-0) defeated Robert Morris (0-1), 38-6, in the first nonconference game of the season.
Penn State transfer quarterback Paul Jones completed 16 of 28 passes for 177 yards and a touchdown in his Colonials debut. Alex Caratelli scored Robert Morris' only touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Jones late in the second quarter. Deonte Howard led all rushers with 58 yards for Robert Morris.
McClain also added two running touchdowns, and four Eastern Kentucky receivers had at least 20 receiving yards. Nathan Watts and Ike Ariguzo each caught a touchdown pass.
The Eastern Kentucky defense picked off a pass and recovered a fumble and limited Robert Morris to 2 of 12 on third-down conversions.
Eastern Kentucky controlled the game offensively, gaining 401 total yards, compared with 232 for Robert Morris. The Colonels scored the opening 21 points, and led 28-6 at halftime.
The Colonels won their season opener for the first time since 2000.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- H-D Advanced Manufacturing in Franklin Park buys Virginia-based aerospace components maker Firstmark
- Instances of hacking may be up, but indictments against Chinese military impactful, experts say
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- McKeesport duo a big part of PSGA basketball recruiting class
- Rescue personnel plan to resume search for missing Monaca swimmer
- Pitt researchers using grant to find cures for viruses from mosquitoes
- Saxonburg residents surprised by zoning proposal
- New Kensington residents rally in support of 82-year-old robbery victim
- Group takes veterans, seniors in WWII-era planes at Unity airport