Anderson's career-high 36 points lead RMU
College Football Videos
FAIRFIELD, Conn. — Karvel Anderson scored a career-high 36 points and Robert Morris defeated Sacred Heart, 79-70, in the Northeast Conference opener for both teams on Thursday night.
Sacred Heart (3-13, 0-1) trailed by nine points at halftime before coming within 72-70 after De'von Barnett made 1 of 2 free throws with 2 minutes remaining. Anderson then scored the next five points, including a 3-pointer with 29 seconds remaining, to put Robert Morris up 77-70.
Robert Morris (6-10, 1-0) shot 53.6 percent from the field, including 10 of 15 from long range. Anderson hit 6 of his 7 3-point attempts.
“He was terrific,” RMU coach Andy Toole said. “He really did a terrific job being diversified on offense and mixing it up. His teammates did a good job of finding him, and he was aggressive and focused.”
Lucky Jones added 17 points for the Colonials. Robert Morris, playing its fourth of five consecutive road contests, snapped a three-game losing streak which included losses to Alabama and No. 6 Oklahoma State.
Mostafa Abdel Latif led Sacred Heart with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lawsuit: Pittsburgh Public Schools should have known officer was abusing boys
- Fights reported, shots fired outside Monroeville Mall restaurant
- Uniontown freight train derailment blamed on bad crossties
- Penguins stars Crosby, Malkin enduring playoff slump
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Penguins pushing to sell playoff tickets
- Stakes raised for Pitt spring game
- First WWI gas attack produced new horrors, changed warfare
- Mackey: For Pens’ Winnik, playing with Crosby an ongoing process
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Charges mount for rowdy Monongahela drug suspect