Anderson's career-high 36 points lead RMU
College Football Videos
FAIRFIELD, Conn. — Karvel Anderson scored a career-high 36 points and Robert Morris defeated Sacred Heart, 79-70, in the Northeast Conference opener for both teams on Thursday night.
Sacred Heart (3-13, 0-1) trailed by nine points at halftime before coming within 72-70 after De'von Barnett made 1 of 2 free throws with 2 minutes remaining. Anderson then scored the next five points, including a 3-pointer with 29 seconds remaining, to put Robert Morris up 77-70.
Robert Morris (6-10, 1-0) shot 53.6 percent from the field, including 10 of 15 from long range. Anderson hit 6 of his 7 3-point attempts.
“He was terrific,” RMU coach Andy Toole said. “He really did a terrific job being diversified on offense and mixing it up. His teammates did a good job of finding him, and he was aggressive and focused.”
Lucky Jones added 17 points for the Colonials. Robert Morris, playing its fourth of five consecutive road contests, snapped a three-game losing streak which included losses to Alabama and No. 6 Oklahoma State.
Mostafa Abdel Latif led Sacred Heart with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kittanning soccer snaps 33-game losing streak
- Offense awakens to lead Steelers past Panthers
- Turek a 50-year fixture as local coach
- Elizabeth Forward volleyball team keeps winning, despite new look
- Game changers: Turnover leads to elusive TD for Steelers
- Kiski Valley Water Pollution Control Authority communities well on their way to completion of sewer projects
- PA will deal online poker in 2017, financial analysis says
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo hopes to give team physical edge
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Researchers study ways to protect power grid from solar storms
- Penguins forward Megna’s skill set might be perfect fit