Bad grades could bench RMU QB Jones for 2014 season
College Football Videos
Robert Morris quarterback Paul Jones likely will miss the upcoming football season because of academic ineligibility.
Jones, a senior, is not on the Colonials' roster, and he is not expected to rejoin the team this fall, assistant sports information director Spencer Kowitz said.
The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Sto-Rox alum transferred to Robert Morris in November 2012 after three discouraging seasons at Penn State, where he struggled to live up to his reputation as a four-star recruit. He completed 122 of 261 pass attempts for 1,651 yards and 15 touchdowns for the Colonials. He also threw 11 interceptions.
This is Jones' second go-round with grade trouble. In 2011, Jones was ruled academically ineligible at Penn State.
With Jones absent from the roster, Robert Morris will enter the season lacking a clear starter at quarterback. Akron transfer Marcus Prather, a junior, completed 28 of 59 passes for 347 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions.
Junior Derik Abbott had the Colonials' only other pass attempt last season — he threw an interception.
Bill West is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BWest_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Fire damages Derry house
- New workout craze Piloxing combines mix of disciplines
- Shuey burger star of ‘bashes’
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End