No. 19 Gonzaga whips West Virginia
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 2:34 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, November 13, 2012
SPOKANE, Wash. — Gary Bell Jr. scored 15 points ,and No. 19 Gonzaga crushed West Virginia, 84-50, on Monday night.
Guy Landry Edi added 14 points for Gonzaga (2-0), which shut down the Mountaineers' shooters. Kevin Pangos scored 13 points, and Elias Harris chipped in 11 for the Zags.
Aaric Murray led West Virginia (0-1) with 14 points, and Jabari Hinds added nine.
The Mountaineers shot just 27 percent from the field and never got their offense untracked. They were 3 of 26 from 3-point range.
Gonzaga made only 4 of its first 15 shots but led, 15-2, after eight minutes as West Virginia missed 9 of its first 10 shots. Sam Dower's stuff made the score 21-6.
Gonzaga led, 45-18, at halftime, thanks to 51 percent shooting that included 6 of 11 3-pointers.
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Penguins GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was improvement during playoffs
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- DNA may help military end era of unknown soldiers
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- ’76 Apple model gets $668K at auction
- Police seek suspect in Derry Twp. exposure incident
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.