College football notebook: WVU defensive coaches swap roles
College Football Videos
West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen has a friendship with Joe DeForest spanning more than 10 years. However, that friendship won't prevent Holgorsen from making a big change to his defense.
Holgorsen will name Keith Patterson his new defensive coordinator, according to the Big Ten Network. Patterson, who will call plays, and DeForest jointly held that title with DeForest calling the plays this season. DeForest will retain his title as co-defensive coordinator.
Patterson, who was Pitt's defensive coordinator in 2011 under former coach Todd Graham, will debut at defensive coordinator when WVU faces Syracuse in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 29 at Yankee Stadium.
WVU's defense ranked 109th out of 120 FBS teams in total defense.
Against TCU on Nov. 3, Holgorsen moved Patterson from the press box to the sideline and sent DeForest from the sideline to the press box.
The Mountaineers lost, 39-38, in overtime, but it followed a four-game stretch during which the defense allowed 53.0 points per game.
WVU's defense improved after the change, allowing a season-low point total in a 59-10 win over Kansas in the regular-season finale.
Holgorsen, who has been out of town, is expected to address his staff changes with the media when he returns next week.
Alvarez to be paid $118K to coach Rose Bowl
Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez will earn $118,500 for returning to the sidelines to coach the Badgers in the Rose Bowl and a win against Stanford will mean a $50,000 bonus. Alvarez was Wisconsin's coach from 1990 through 2005, a time when he won three Rose Bowl titles.
Odds and ends
Southern Mississippi has hired Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Todd Monken as its next football coach. ... California coach Sonny Dykes has brought two of his former assistants at Louisiana Tech to his new job. Tony Franklin will be the offensive coordinator and Rob Likens will coach receivers for the Golden Bears. ... Arkansas says Wisconsin defensive coordinator Chris Ash will join former Badgers coach Bret Bielema's staff. ... San Jose State defensive coordinator Kent Baer will be the team's interim coach for the Military Bowl.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State women’s soccer team tops WVU, advances to College Cup
- LB Kwiatkoski sentimental about WVU traditions entering final home game
- Howard leads West Virginia over Iowa State
- West Virginia football team finds late-season mean streak
- Mountaineers wary of Iowa State’s trickery
- Penn State-West Virginia soccer rivalry renews at Elite Eight
- West Virginia whips San Diego State to claim Las Vegas Invitational title
- West Virginia blasts Bethune-Cookman at Las Vegas Classic
- WVU notebook: Holgorsen gives departing Iowa State coach Rhoads respect
- Williams shines in West Virginia win over Richmond