WVU QB coach leaves for A&M, Dawson promoted
By John Harris
Published: Friday, Jan. 11, 2013, 10:02 a.m.
The coaching carousel continues at West Virginia with the departure of quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital, who will become quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator at Texas A&M.
Spavital spent the past two seasons at WVU and tutored school career passing leader Geno Smith. He replaces Kliff Kingsbury, who became the new Texas Tech coach.
Spavital — who worked with WVU coach Dana Holgorsen at Houston as a graduate assistant under current Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin — will have the opportunity to coach Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.
Monessen quarterback Chavas Rawlins said Spavital's departure has no influence on his decision to go to Morgantown, W.Va.
“I found out yesterday and coach (Dana) Holgorsen called me (Friday) and told me that coach (Shannon) Dawson was going to be the new quarterbacks coach,” Rawlins said.
Dawson had been the receivers coach at WVU.
Spavital is the third WVU assistant to leave since the end of the season. Assistant head coach Steve Dunlap and defensive backs coach Daron Roberts were not retained.
Staff writer Jeff Oliver contributed. John Harris is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Maatta not a top rookie finalist
- Indictment alleges scheme defrauded government of $10 million
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Duquesne teachers accept fact-finder recommendations for contract
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Highmark’s insurance profit falls 40%
- ‘Save Chatham’ protesters ordered to leave Shadyside campus
- Heyl: Even crooks know UPMC’s full of it
- Alaska’s Iditarod Trail challenges Unity couple
- State to kick in $2 million for Glade Run Lake restoration