Virginia Tech returns to WVU football schedule
College Football Videos
West Virginia and Virginia Tech last played a football game in 2005. The Mountaineers announced Wednesday that the schools will resume the series with two games beginning in 2021.
The schools have met 51 times, beginning in 1912, and played every year from 1973-2005. West Virginia leads, 28-22-1. The series ended following Virginia Tech's 34-17 win in Morgantown, W,Va., in 2005, when the Hokies left the Big East to join the ACC.
West Virginia now competes in the Big 12.
WVU will host Virginia Tech on Sept. 18, 2021. The second game will be played at Virginia Tech on Sept. 24, 2022.
“I have heard from legions of Mountaineer fans, particularly those in the southern part of the state, who have expressed their strong sentiments to renew the football rivalry with Virginia Tech,” WVU athletic director Oliver Luck said in a statement. “This game is great for college football.”
WVU and Virginia Tech compete for the Black Diamond Trophy, which began in 1997, symbolizing the Appalachian region's coal history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WVU notebook: Back-up plan nearly works for Mountaineers
- WVU notebook: KSU’s Snyder has success with walk-ons
- Snyder enjoying 2nd go-around at Kansas State
- WVU to open 2015 football season with 3 straight home games
- West Virginia’s seniors key piece of school’s move to Big 12
- West Virginia’s bid for upset against No. 12 Kansas State falls short