WVU tops Marshall behind Staten's 19 points
By The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013, 10:42 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Juwan Staten scored 19 points and West Virginia used a late 12-1 run to beat Marshall, 74-64, on Saturday night.
West Virginia (7-4) won its third straight over its intrastate rival and the seventh out of the last eight tries. The Mountaineers improved to 31-11 all-time in the series.
Marshall (4-6) led 54-48 with 9 minutes left but fell flat down the stretch. West Virginia took its first lead of the game, 63-62, on Staten's 3-point play with 3:41 remaining.
Marshall was held without a field goal over the final 5 minutes.
Terry Henderson added 13 points for West Virginia. Brandon Watkins and Gary Browne had 12 apiece and Eron Harris scored 11.
Marshall redshirt freshman Kareem Canty scored 16 points and Chris Thomas and TyQuane Goard had 11 apiece.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle familiar with Ike Davis’ lineage
- ACC notebook: Coaches keep tabs on players’ bid to unionize
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Johnson to undergo 2nd Tommy John surgery
- Search warrant shows 12 items seized from stabbing suspect’s locker
- Suspicious device closes part of Market Square
- Casey to promote tax-free savings plan for disabled during Pittsburgh stop
- A.J. Richardson, wife held for trial over 911 calls
- Champions come out for ‘Stars on Ice’ at Consol
- Penguins notebook: Injured Goc could return during Round 1
- Former U.S. Steel executive and wife make $500,000 donation
- SUV strikes two girls in Hempfield